Help with washes and filters on acrylic paint jobs...

USCM Sulaco

Just getting back into modelling and I have a number of projects on the go, but in recently painting some resin castings I noted that when I used one of the AK pre made washes, the acrylic paint started to wear off. I always thought that white spirit and the pre made washes from AK and Mig Ammo and such would not disturb Acrylic paint as they are enamel based. Do I have this wrong? I want to be sure before I tackle some of the newly painted models.

I typically prime with AK acrylic primer and I typically paint with Vallejo Air Colors, AK, Mig Ammo or Tamiya paints. Everything is always cleaned, primed and allowed to dry at least for a week and days in between layers of paint.

Should I be clear coating these models with varnish before applying enamel based washes or filters or oil paint with white spirit? If so, what do you recommend? Some helpful hints would be appreciated. Thank you!

Also I have heard or read somewhere that enamel based washes and the Star Wars Bandai models do not get along so well...so before I try anything on my at-st, is there any suggestions here for this? Primed in Mig Ammo black primer and painted in Mig Ammo colors.

Again, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much!

:p You're right on the chemistry . You shouldn't have problems .

What are you using to clean the resin prior to everything ? The parts aren't sitting long enough after cleaning or priming in an environment that could deposit gunk on 'em are they ? probably not :-\ ?

White spirits = mineral spirits / paint thinner , yeah ?

??? Uru

Biggest question, did you wash the resin parts prior to painting, and then did you prime them after washing?

If you answer no to those....then no acrylic paint will stick to the bare resin, and likely wasn't the wash taking off the paint, but the paint not adhering to the surface. Still a good idea to put down a clear coat between the paint and the wash to give the paint an extra layer of protection, but if the parts weren't washed and primed, then even that wouldn't have helped much.

Filters work best when applied directly to the painted surface because it allows them to 'soak' into the paint. When it comes to washes (enamel or oil), typically a gloss or satin varnish is put down first as it allows you better control over the application of the wash.

I've had issues with turpenoid attack Bandai plastic, but it generally only effects parts that are under stress from the snap-fit connections. I've had better luck with white spirits, but you still might want to be weary of any thinner.

Latest posts

Back