FINISHED F-15 FROM REVELL. ANY THOUGHTS?

alerae

JUST FINISHED A NEW F-15 FROM REVELL YESTERDAY. ANY THOUGHTS OR THINGS YOU CAN SEE TO IMPROVE ON?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looks pretty good.
About the only gripe I'd really have, based on these pics, is the canopy frame not being painted.
Although it looks like the canopy may not be seating well.

You did a really good job with getting that nose art decal to lay flat. I always seemed to have issues with multi curved panels like that.

Looks pretty good man.

;D

For painting Canopies..... Tamiya Tape is your friend ! (you can use other masking or painter's Tape if that's all you have....) and you have 2 or 3 options to do that Task !

You could mask the whole canopy... with Tamiya Tape ! for this technique to work well... you have to RUB down or Burnish the tape really well into the canopy frame... in order for it to show thru the tape...
be careful not to STRESS the canopy ... or you will Crack it !

Then with a Brand new X-acto blade slowly follow the canopy frame.... Take your time and be careful; Remove the tape you have cut, that covers the frame and leave the Tape that is covering the glass !!! paint interior black first ! Air Brushed or Hand painted is ok ! Then when dry... paint over the black colour with the Exterior colour, the plane is painted... by doing that... you take care of the interior colour of the canopy at the same time...

You can also mask a Canopy by using small pieces of tape you have cut in advance.... in the lenght and shape you require.... and slowly follow the canopy lines... when that is done you can fill in the remainder with larger pieces of tape to cover the whole canopy... leaving only the Frame area exposed... for paint... paint the Interior colour first... when dry you paint the exterior colour and once again you have a perfect canopy ! if you want to avoid peeling paint... you can TRACE with an X acto blade along the edges of the canopy frames to free the TAPE from any paint that might have dried against it ! this way you will be able to peel the tape without Tearing your nice paint job...

Another way is to use.. LIQUID rubber mask !!! you apply the liquid in the areas you don't want paint.... once dried ! you paint and later.... rub off the rubber mask and Voila !!! you don't have to paint the whole canopy with liquid rubber... you can mask so much and use tape to cover larger area... a mix of both techniques.... to save your precious Liquid Masking agent !

I could make a small demo ?? but I am sure you get the idea !!!

Happy Modeling !

One point ! about your plane ! The American "Star" on your kit is Pointing DOWN !!!!

its too late now ! but next time... the five point star has two points down and 1 UP !

We all done it in the past !! so it happens !

Take care !

Norm

OUT !

thank you Norm.

When using liquid mask can you do whole-plane camo with it instead of cutting and placing tape? or is it to expensive and ment just for small items like canopies?

of course.....

Smaller Airplanes can be done that way... but only for HARD EDGE Camouflage !

if that's what you want ? you could trace the OUTLINE of your camo with liquid mask ! and fill the rest with
masking tape (tamiya Tape)

but to my knowledge, not many a/c are done this way...... usually its done with an Air Brush... for a more Feathered look !

if you show us what you mean ?? maybe we can offer better solution or ideas !
you can put a link to a picture of a kit or pictures of what you are referring to !!! and we could help you from there....

Best of luck with your Future builds !!!

Norm

OUT !

Im thinking of using jsut tape because i dont have an airbrush just cans and as far as i know you get control the spread much. I think id like hard lines better thean mixed anyway

Latest posts

Back