face with oils first attempt

brian

Hi Guys
My first attempt at faces, please let me know what yous think??? please be honest as im not too happy with it but then it is the first attempt, done by following chris's excellent tutorial
thanks
Brian
Capture-1.png

Hi Spud
Thanks for the comments mate, i know what you mean, think i rushed it to be honest, your models look excellent, guess i'll just have to keep trying, pity you cannot larger scale heads to practise on.
thanks
Brian

best about resin is you can clean it off and start again :) my second head dint tun out as good as the first and that got started again, so we live and learn.

Hi Brian ,

Im happy my SBS was of use to you ,and its great to see you having a go :) For a first attempt ,I think it looks great . Its hard to judge exactly how the highlights & shadows look until it dries ,maybe then you can push them a little further . The oils look very greasy ,did you let them breath for a while on cardboard or paper ? ,maybe its just because they are still wet .
Anyhoo ,its a great first go and you're on the right road .Please feel free to ask at anytime ;)

Chris.

Hi Chris
Many thanks for the kind words mate, i did leave the oils to dry on the card for about 20mins, could be that i took the picture just after putting the brush down.
Ive since washed the figure clean, ready to give it another try, i wasnt happy with it although it looked slightly better in person. Its too good a model to leave as is, so have decided to wash it clean and try again.
Just got to keep at it mate, hopefully it'll come good in the end???
May i ask Chris, how long do you wait before putting each stage on the figure i.e shades/highlights etc?? basically, what would the average time be in painting the face??
cheers
Brian

As I say in the SBS ,I will do a first sitting which is wet on wet ,in other words I just apply the colours one after the other and blend them while still wet ,this will be putting in the shadows ,midtones ,and some highlighting . Then Stop ,let the face dry completely before the next stage ,if you try to rush it you will end up with a muddy mess ,so just leave it for a few days in a warm place were the dust cannot fall on it . The second sitting will be adding more highlights ,stubble ,details etc ,if needed you can do a third sitting for the detail painting .

Chris.

Hi,
First off that's a cool bust, and I hope you'll end up with a good looking piece when you're done :)

Now for my 2 cents,

I have been painting 28mm models for around 12 years now and started out with enamels on 1/72 aircraft before that and I must say enamels would not be my preferred choice of paint for this kind of project, acrylics is far easier to work with IMO :) But my pointers should be useful anyway.

First off I think the eyes are a bit too large, making them a fraction smaller would help a lot. And a really neat trick is to make sure the white in your models eyes is outlined with a dark shade as this helps define the eyes better, in this scale I'd suggest a dark tan/brown colour referebly mixed with the darkest of the colours you use for the skin for a more natural transition from the skin to the colour between the eye.

Secondly skin will look very doll like if you don't add areas of redish or purple tones (very thin washes are great, or simply mixing them in your basecoat) for areas such as the lover lips and under the eyes as very refined colour tinting in areas which have more delicate skin and therefore more bloodflow will vastly improve the "life like" feel of the model.

And then lastly the stubble will benefit from a slightly more rough approach than the rest of the skin to simulate the roughness that stubble leaves. And shading is very important to make stubble stand out.

To show an example of what I mean here's a picture of a model 'm working on at the moment, it's a 28mm model but should underline the general feel of what I'm saying :)

DSC04311copy.jpg

Hope this helps a bit :)

Hi TDA
Many thanks for your comments and pointers mate, i did try again with the figure last night but i was'nt at all happy with it, is been washed a third time now, primed and put away until i can start getting it right??
Im following chris's excellent guide, but i just cant get the blending right. I shade the areas after the basecoat has dried ( vallejo basic skin tone), with the darker oils. but after i paint the face in flesh oils and try and blend into the shadows, its going horribly wrong, im blending into the shadows too much making the whole face darker.
I am going to try Acrylics next, just really to see how it turns out but oils will be my first choice once ive master it?? it just gets so frustrating at times.
Cheers
Brian

Hi Brian,

After looking at your pic, and reading your post I understand what you’re your doing wrong. You are over blending the oils. That’s one reason why I personally paint in enamels to avoid over blending. I haven’t mastered the oils yet my self.

Like Chris said, That’s a great first attempt. Let me see if I can point you to some tips to help you improve.

First is to think “small”. By this I mean small areas, small amounts of paint, and small paint brushes.

Second is to use a small round brush to blend only the boarder (where to two colors meet each other) of the two colors of paint. Try a stabbing motion in stead of a swiping motion.

And Third, invest in some good quality fine brushes that will hold there point well. Keep them clean and take good care of them and they will last a very long time. Windsor and Newton series 7 brushes are the best you can buy for figure painting.

This isn’t meant to put you down by any means, just some tips that have helped me. Please don’t give up. Once you figure it out you’ll take off like a bat out of He&*.

Hi John
Many thanks mate, dont worry about putting me down , id rather people be honest with their opinions, its the only way i will learn.
At present, i have bought the lifecolor flesh set,w&n oils, acrylics and mig oils, i also have a set of w&n n07 brushes. Im hoping to practise on some faces using the different paints to see which would be best suited for me?? i am struggling with the oils at the moment, just busy reading up on the different methods used??
I would much rather prefer to master acrylics as this would be my first choice with figure painting ( just to make life a little easier for me ), but it seems for the best results, oils would be the way to go.
Im currently reading a few guides which all have their own systems/color's to use, so im basically just going to practise and practise until i get somewhere im happy with.
You are spot on with regards the blending John, i think ive been too heavy handed with the blending, guess i'll just have to keep at it, and hopefully it will click at some point.
Thanks again for the advice John, appreciated mate
Brian

Cool Brain. Once you find what works for you there’ll be no stopping you.

I’ll admit that I’m too heavy handed with the oils my self.

I found this video and watched it yesterday. I’m excited to try acrylics after watching it. This woman paints a brilliant face in less than an hour!

Marion Ball

Thanks for posting the vid John, excellent, she makes it look so easy?? keeping it for future reference
cheers
Brian

saw that before its an excellent vid and she makes it look way too easy

Latest posts

Back