F-4U 5-N Corsair Marines Woodland crashsite found

Bushy

Hey guys,

I've been very busy the past few days building this scene - this is my first attempt at scene building.

First i glues a block of Styrofoam to a plywood sheet and cut and sculpted it into a hillside. Then i used spray glue to coat the styrofoam with the green grass. This is the result.

Then i built the key plane parts and applied two coats of primer and shaded the panel lines.

Using a dremel i grinded the inside of the hull to make bullet holes later. This is what brought the plane down :)

I put the model together and painted a coat of dark navy blue and applied the decals, i weathered it with rust pigment and put some detail on the bullet holes.

Added some moss for detail.

Trees and people. I plan to add two more soldiers.

I still want to make this better, id like to add some land effects!
Id be grateful for any advice or tips on improving this!

Cheers!

Looking good so far.
Looks almost like the Corsair was laid in here, though. Should be some marks from the slide-out, even if they've since overgrown

Hi all,

ive been tinkering with my scene and after some thought decided to scar the landscape forever in an attempt to make things more realistic. Im still not satisfied with the overgrown slide-out trails where the plane hit the ground. Im thinking of getting some different ground covers to make the scars on the landscape stand out a bit more.
Id appreciate any suggestions of tips on how to make this work :)

Here are the pics:

Cheers!

Definitely looking better.
Although a dig under that left wing would help to show why it broke off.

Other than that, I'd mix some bare dirt into your slide out trail.
Maybe add the broken landing gear as well

Ive made some pretty big changes to make it look like a crash thats happend like a year ago and has been discovered by a us army group with a jeep :) the jeep isnt finished, come to think of it nothing is really finished, but here is what i got so far!

Ill try to get that wing dug in next!

Here are the pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wow what did you put on that grass to make it grow so nice :D

joking apart it looks really cool BUT planes dont really rust they oxide since they are aluminium. fading paint would reveal bare metal surface

Neo said:
Wow what did you put on that grass to make it grow so nice :D

joking apart it looks really cool BUT planes dont really rust they oxide since they are aluminium. fading paint would reveal bare metal surface

Hehe, thanks :)

i guess i should have done some more research, dont know what aluminium oxide looks like, lets just say that that is not really rust but the blood of the crew that spattered on impact :p
Learnin something new every day :)
Cheers!

Your Dio looks really nice with all the changes and work you put into it,
it really payed off mate,

get job on a great little scene and story :)

shane.

Thank you! its still not finished, im still tinkering with the details... im repainting the soldiers, the first job was a bit sloppy and im getting better at painting tiny things :p

Ill update with photos soon!

perhaps blending the grass from ultra green to having a little bit of tans and yellowed patches would help enhance some areas.....also fuel that would have spilled out of the holding tanks would have "burned" the soil and make those areas not grow or grow very little depending on how long its been sitting. Taking some Fiber-Fill or thin strands of cotton could add some cobweb to the cockpit too. To get that oxide haze, a baking soda mix may be a good bet to lighten up the weathering and add the pitted and calcified look.

Great work so far though, I enjoy keeeping up on these evolving dioramas since it serves as inspiration for my upcoming works

Latest posts

Back