Entry #5: 1/72 P-51D Mustang

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Just couldn’t help myself!!! I’ve gotten a few of these gems in the past few weeks and they just kept calling me. This is my first Mustang so I figured go easy, test it out. The build was straight-forward.
p51_img_3143.jpg

I riveted this kit, too, and I think they turned out just right for the scale. A little bit of fine sanding knocked them down enough to not be eye-sores.
p51_img_3144.jpg

p51_img_3146.jpg

I only had to fill the tail gear opening.
p51_img_3155.jpg

p51_img_3149.jpg

p51_img_3152.jpg

p51_img_3167.jpg

p51_img_3168.jpg

AND this was my first chance to use some brush-on Mr. Surfacer to clean up the seams.
p51_img_3156.jpg

p51_img_3157.jpg

p51_img_3165.jpg

p51_img_3176.jpg

p51_img_3177.jpg

p51_img_3178.jpg

Final pics coming later this week…

Wow
That quality in such a short period of time is truly a credit to your skills and dedication.

For such a small scale the detail is amazing! Abosultely love what you've done with this! Way to go!

thanks guys! i'm glad i took a bunch of photos of it because there was a nasty mishap last night and she was destroyed beyond repair

[attachment deleted by admin]

No way! What happened? It must be a mustang thing because last years SMA my mustangs decals got ruined!

well, i had it nicely packed for transit between home and the photo studio at work. even a little cardboard tent to protect the wire. first, when i got home to unpack it, the tape holding the tent down accidentally touched the belly striping and tore it off (so there's your decal curse!). so in my frustration i set it down to go eat and come back later with a cool head. however, i didn't quite pay attention to exactly where i placed it in my space...i mean i did, but didn't consider it too much. so after dinner i went and got a couple of semi-large, heavy-ish boxes that came in the mail and walked them over to my desk area and carelessly dropped/placed them to hear *crunch*. it was compressed just hard enough to twist the fuselage and snap the seam AND bend it right behind the exhaust....ugh.

at least i got pictures and at least it wasn't as much of a time investment as other builds. :(

I feel your pain...I had just finished my 1/144 Slave 1 (featured in SMA issue 2 ;D ;D ;D lol) and walked out the shed to bring it in the house and dropped it....in the grass....I was on my hands and knees for ages, I found everything though and fixed it back up. Only to have it dropped again by the grand judge at Euromilitare!

Latest posts

Back