Enamel Paints

letsgobrowns82

So this is starting to really annoy me. I use Model Master enamel paints. Its just what I grew up on, I started using them 18 years ago when I first started building models. Anyways I have some of those colors that you just dont use often I think this time it was a dark blue of some sort. Anyways I have never even opened this bottle and the other day I went to use it. I unscrewed the cap and "oh isn't this magical, the paint has hardened at the bottom of the bottle". I know paint seperates if it sits for a long time but being new in a sealed bottle I wouldnt think it should harden like that. I dont think that it was anymore than a year old. I dont know, I just wanted to complain I guess. Maybe acrylics dont do this but at this point I am way too invested in enamels. I've got to have over 100 bottles of it and its what I'm comfortable with.

All paints have a shelf life and it varies between brands. Try stirring it with a thick stick and see if it breaks apart. You also have no idea how long it has been sitting on the shelf wherever you bought it nor if the cap was secure in the first place.

Yeah I must have gotten one that was sitting for a while because I pulled out what looked like clay and it wouldnt blend into the thinner at all.

I've had everything from acrylics, to lacquers sitting for more than 5 years and they are still good. One year seems awful short for the paint to die on you, specially enamels.

Btw acrylics (at least some types) are theoretically more prone to going bad with time due to the less aggressive solvents used. I've had good experience with Mr hobbythough, some of my oldest bottles of paint are Mr Hobby acrylics and they are fine after some 7 years in the box.

Think you got a bad one there ,I have enamels that are up to 15/20 yrs old ,they still work fine ,just pop the lid and stir :)

Chris.

I have some of the little square bottles of Testors enamels....their Silver, Steel, etc, just couldn't be beat for color and such. Some of those are 20-25+yrs old. They get a little gooey, but add in some more enamel thinner, stir them up and good as new. Mind you I haven't used them for awhile, so they might all be toast now.

As far as acrylics go...I know I have a few bottles of Tamiya that have been kicking around for over 10yrs for sure, as well bottles of Vallejo that have been around for just about as long, and are still as good as new.

Elm City Hobbies said:
I have some of the little square bottles of Testors enamels....their Silver, Steel, etc, just couldn't be beat for color and such. Some of those are 20-25+yrs old. They get a little gooey, but add in some more enamel thinner, stir them up and good as new. Mind you I haven't used them for awhile, so they might all be toast now.

As far as acrylics go...I know I have a few bottles of Tamiya that have been kicking around for over 10yrs for sure, as well bottles of Vallejo that have been around for just about as long, and are still as good as new.
One of my jars was toast, or well more like a brick of hard cheese. Anyways I went through all of my other jars of paint (that seemed to take forever) and stirred them all up, added some thinner to some of them and they are all okay. It must have been a bad egg or something.

Glad to hear you only had one bad jar. I could only imagine having to get all new paints again. $3 and change adds up quick.

Yeah and I seem to remember as a kid that they were more full when I opened them. I think its a conspiracy or something. For three dollars a jar at least fill it up all the way!!!

Latest posts

Back