Dragons 1/35th SU85M OOB

bdr65

" Ouch, Cut me finger again "
My first build in a very long time is Dragons SU85M smart kit. While the build is not
exceptional,Iam happy with the paint job so far. The first photo is the model with
a dark ghost grey as a primer and IJN dark green from Tamiya's aircraft colours range
in spray can form. " No airbrush and only basic modelling tools used on this kit" :'(

DSCN0084_zps51e7214b.jpg

Next I applied a couple of general filters using three different oil colours to change the
basecoated green. Next came several applications of mixed oil paints blended together.

DSCN0110_zpsb773c00c.jpg

While the build is not exceptional, Iam more than happy with how the upper painted structure
has come out so far. The lower structure is still in the original basecoat colour at the mo. ;D

DSCN0115_zps97f8e013.jpg

This kit is responsible reigniting my passion for scale modelling. :)

Looking good, I am in pretty much the same boat as you, coming back into the hobby. Feels good to be back too!

Subhuman1 said:
Looking good, I am in pretty much the same boat as you, coming back into the hobby. Feels good to be back too!

Thanks mate. I totally agree with you about coming back into this wonderful hobby. Does feel good.
Oh well, onwards and upwards. :)

Yes this is looking really good. A wash and some dry brushing and you will be on your way.

Terry ;D

Thanks all, appreciate the comments :) Yeah Iam gonna pin wash and drybrush it sometime this
weekend ;D

Thanks geegad, I drybrushed several different shades of green over it and blended them
together, (Artists Oil Paints Used exclusively) trying too get that exposed to the elements
look. :) This weekend just gone, I managed the detail painting and a gloss varnish coat
for the pin wash and another drybrush and then resealed with matt varnish.

Next round is some extra weathering and some chipping too finish the upper hull.
Then onto the lower hull with paint and pigments :) " Iam gonna use acrylic paints
for this job " ;D

Will get more photo's up soon folks

nice clean build up. I'll be watching for the weathering look. 8)

@Ohm Appreciate the kind comments. I'll have some new pics up on Sunday, sometime.
Gonna be working all weekend on the sucker ;)

More heavy weathering done on upper body. Painted / washed running gear.
Camera kaput at the mo. I stupidly forgot to turn it off and batteries
went flat. so no pics at this time :-[

@Ahmed Sorry bout that :'(

nice ank, definitely needs the wheels and tracks painted but a very nice upper hull... are you sure it's your first kit... because compared to my model is like comparig a ford ka to a bentley. ;)

Thanks Ahmed appreciate the comment ;D It's my first model in 17 or so years. Ive been building
plastic mods off and on since I was 12-13 years old. My last build, before I went modelling A.W.O.L,
was a tamiya 1/35th Jagdtiger. It was the J.T that I first tried using washes, oils and pastels for
weathering on a scale model. Before I just used paint's for weathering my models and my dads
railroad goods wagons.

Pigments , the new acrylic paints and the AK type off stuff is new to myself, so Iam
learning new skill's and relearning old ones. Ahmed, never sell yourself short, as Ive
seen your build and it looks really really good :)

It's also the first time Ive used PE in a build, as you can tell from the straps holding
the spare tracks on ;) " I need to buy me modelling magnifying glasses " :D

Thanks Andrei383, appreciate your kind words :)

Like most weathering u just don't know when enough is enough lol :p

I now declare this to be the final photo's, as Iam happy with the end result. After washing
the running gear and leaving it for a week, I brushed artist oils on the tracks and wheels.
Then quite literally, slapped pigments straight on top of the wet paints.

I also, more or less, redone the upper hull. Tried adding some chipping with a small
piece of sponge using citadel paint, which didn't work for me :'(

" Experimenting is always great fun "

First time using pigments and Iam in love with them ;D

http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/bdr65/slideshow/Su%2085%20WW2%20Russian%20Tank%20Destroyer/SU%2085M%203%20stage/SU85M%20Tank%20Destroyer%20WW2

Thanks everyone :)

Latest posts

Back