Dragon Railway Flatbed

collin26

Well, I recently stated that we as modelers should all branch out into subjects that are new to us in order to enhance our skills. So, a railway car was out of my norm.
First images shows some base colors. The base colors have been mixed light. These will darken up durring weathering for sure.
DSCN0332.jpg
DSCN0344.jpg
The wood planks inside the bed are the first to get the treatment. First thing was to cut them up into some individual boards in order to add some variety. Next was to pick each board out in a different wood brown color. Next up were washes made from AK Interactive's "Dark Mud" thinned with white spirit.
DSCN0346.jpg
DSCN0355.jpg
When this project is complete, there will be leaves and twigs littering the inside corners of the bed. I want to simulate some moldy and rotten wood close to the edges. First step was to use Humbrol White to simulate the edges of mold. Next was to us "Slimy Grime Dark" & "Winter Streaking Grime" to simulate the moldy MUCK ! This will eventually show through under the leaves and debri.
DSCN0361.jpg
DSCN0356.jpg
DSCN0367.jpg
DSCN0362.jpg
Much more to do. Will post progress if you guys are interested in this one.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Only a bit more progress this evening. These are the sliding doors from the sides of the railway flatbed. The doors on the kit are molded in place so I chose to remove them and replace with these cut from sheet brass. This will enable me to position each door open or closed as well as bend & ding them to show damage. These have been chipped using Vallejo "Tank Brown" and have recieved some grime and rust streaks as well.
DSCN0270-1.jpg
DSCN0271-1.jpg
DSCN0371.jpg
DSCN0378.jpg
My eyes are a bit shot after doing 20 of these little doors!

Hey Iain, good to see you here!

I like where this is going, it's come a ways since I saw this at Steve's house when you came up for our club meeting. (that's if it's the same one) Will you be bringing this to Robs demo next week?

Maybe I can use it in my pigment demo. ;D LOL J/K

Great work bro, see you soon.

Ken A.

This is Different !!! and intriguing ! You have my Attention.... I like your painting technique and the layering effects of those Paints... Never Heard of AK before...? where can they be found ? obviously Lacquers... Right ?

the detailing of those Little Doors and wear and tear effects are very convincing !!! Looking forward to your next update !

I will definitely learn something here !

Thanks for sharing !

Norm.

Out !

Hey bro, nice to see this one again. Love the painting so far. The small plates and the chips/weathering.
Would be cool to see this at my workshop next weekend, hint hint.

scratchmod
www.scratchmod.com

Latest posts

Back