Dragon Iron Man Mk42

Quaralane

As something of a tuneup for the upcoming Big Spring Contest, as well as wanting to get a fresh build under my belt after setting the Enterprise aside, I decided to tackle something that I figured would go fairly quickly.
Fresh from Hobbylink Japan, comes the Iron Man Mk42 by Dragon
dragon-iron-man-mk42-00.jpg

Started construction with the internal structure that will hold the rest of the model.
Not worried about seams here as this whole assembly will be hidden inside the model.
dragon-iron-man-mk42-01.jpg

Torso assembly came up next with all but the arc reactor piece and the final covering.
To help tighten the seam on the chest pieces, I used a rebber band as a clamp. (This would turn out ot be the ONLY seam I needed to clamp.)
dragon-iron-man-mk42-02.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-03.jpg

I painted up the are reactor with a light grey primer, then gave it a light black wash.
This was then drybrushed in white and put behind the transparent cover and final chest piece.
dragon-iron-man-mk42-04.jpg

The helmet assembly was straightforward and quick.
I went ahead and painted the backs of the eye pieces and will mask them when the time comes for paint.
dragon-iron-man-mk42-05.jpg

Construction of the limbs was up next.
I would like to point out here that Dragon managed to cast the forearm and shin pieces as SINGLE PIECES, rather than halves.
Left arm and leg finished. (I've left the repulsors out so that they can be added after paint.)
dragon-iron-man-mk42-06.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-07.jpg

Right arm and leg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-08.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-09.jpg

Did a quick mockup with the subassemblies in place.
(The model is a little back heavy, so a base would be recommended)
dragon-iron-man-mk42-10.jpg

Youtube link:
Dragon Iron Man Mk42-Part One

Q, great build and great video. While I normally stick to Armor and Wings I really do enjoy watching your builds.

very cool vid looks like a kit worth getting. It also looks like you could possibly light it as well

Very cool. Saw some pics of the kit (and the other versions) when I looked some Nuremberg toy fair pics. Do you know whne it will be available in Germany and to which cost?

Thanks, Guys.
Arohk, lighting it wouldn't be too hard...EXCEPT for the hand repulsors. The hands are one piece molds.
Arc reactor and head might be tricky as well.

tigrazor,
You'd likely have to do what I did and order direct from Hobbylink Japan.

Thanks, Scott

Inner frame looks to be basically the same as the mkvii, but more detail on the armour.
The inner frame makes lighting trickier but it's nothing LEDs and fibre optics can't deal to.

What paints do you plan on using on this one?

WebbyNZ said:
Inner frame looks to be basically the same as the mkvii, but more detail on the armour.
The inner frame makes lighting trickier but it's nothing LEDs and fibre optics can't deal to.

What paints do you plan on using on this one?
Webby,
Went with a light grey/dark grey undercoat with a layer of copper-orange lacquer over it.
Pic to follow soon

All right.
Moving RIGHT along with one of the fastest builds I've had in awhile.

Primered the figure using a combination of very dark grey and light grey primers from Vallejo.
This would give me a two-tone look with a minimum of masking on the final paint coats
dragon-iron-man-mk42-11.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-12.jpg

Decanted some Testors "Firey Orange" laquer for use with the airbrush, and painted the main body parts.
dragon-iron-man-mk42-13.jpg

Once that was dry, I went over the body with a black wash, wiping the excess off, to bring out detail.
I painted the holes for the repulsors in his palms white, then inserted the kit parts into the holes.
Removed the masking from the eyes and arc reactor and, while the arc reactor turned out fine, I wound up repainting his eyes.
Given the heavy backward stance of the model, I glued him to a piece of balsa to act as a base. (Did this mostly becaue I don't really have the shelf space for the kit base.

Finished build pics
dragon-iron-man-mk42-14.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-15.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-16.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-17.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-18.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-19.jpg
dragon-iron-man-mk42-20.jpg

Youtube link:
Dragon Iron Man Mk42-Part Two-Finale

Wow missed this one! Great stuff mate and you got it done before the BSC. Nice.

Back