DML 1/6 M4A3 105mm Sherman - plane_mc

plane_mc

This is my first build posted to this site, please be kind.

I decided to take the plunge and build a large scale tank. I picked up the DML kit a little over a month ago and I am just getting going on it. I guess I was one of the lucky few as my kit was complete with all the track links and end connectors. I did have 3 of the chevron track pieces short-shot, but I have just enough good ones to do both sides.

My plans as of now are to build a full interior for it, including the engine. If anyone has any pictures/drawings/measurements of the 105mm gun cradle/mount/breech they would be willing to share, I could use anything I can get my hands on. I am also in need of some information on the ammo storage for the 105mm. I fully expect this to be a long term project.

I started by added some spacers to the main transmission housing piece to help align the sides when I glue the pieces together. I don’t know why the ribs were molded so far in from the sides when the side pieces should fit flush with the outside edge.

I decided to start the scratch building with the transmission. I resized some ordnance drawings to make them 1/6 scale and started building off of them. I had to modify the side pieces of the transmission housing by removing some plastic at the ends and top. I also had to grind down the mating surfaces on the tub where the side pieces connect so my new side pieces would fit properly.

Here is what I have so far.

I still need to add a lot of detail to the piece, but at least I am getting started.

I am also getting a wheel ready to make a mold to cast the road wheel backs that DML doesn’t include in the kit. This will be my first try at casting, so I hope I do it right. I still have to add a few details to the wheel before I make the mold.

I guess that is it for now, thanks for looking. - Mark

Latest posts

Back