DL-44 ANH blaster prop

Sorry for the long post.....lots of pictures, as i got lots done today. :)

Well as the Klingons say 'today is a good day to paint!'.....well they would if they could. ;D

I got my colours down on the whole model tonight. After much ummimg and ahhing i finally decided to go with Vallejo Air paints as i really liked the range of metallic paints they had on offer, after my troubles with the Vallejo Primer i was starting to think i'd made a boo boo but i have to say that once i had some Vallejo thinners it's gone much better than i had hoped.

62182f59.jpg

I started off by giving the whole model a coating of 'gun' colour, this gave a nice deep metal colour as my base and the primer seems to have worked great. Then i shaded all the edges, raised details and anywhere else i plan to use the AK weathering products with 'steel', this gives a lovely bright colour....just what i'm looking for to give the impression of worn metal that has an almost polished look.

1c4c670c.jpg
2afd6fc8.jpg
59837a42.jpg
4a671655.jpg

In some pictures i've seen the scope had an almost multi-colour hue to it where the black had worn away so next step was to pre-weather these areas with a very light coat of 'bright brass' and 'copper', while i was at it it occured to me that when i use a soldering iron at work the tips are around 380 degrees in temp and the tips go a similar brass/copper colour....surely the muzzle of a blaster gets hot!!! So although you dont see it in the pictures of the prop i decided to give the muzzle the same treatment. :eek:

0b29110d.jpg
bdca3f4f.jpg
1dc8b85b.jpg
d0797e88.jpg
013a4722.jpg

I did try to keep the hints of colour delicate, my skillz with an AB are getting better but still very newbie but i'm quite pleased with the end result. ;D

Next step is gonna be the tricky one, i will need to cover the gun with the AK chipping fluids then once thats dried apply my final colour of black then i can start chipping away to reveal all this metal goodness underneath. Firstly i'm going to read up on these chipping fluids to see what sort of time frame i need for the whole operation. ???

Thanks for looking.

TTFN Matt

matt that looks superb,

you have plenty of working time with the chipping fluids, once you lay it down let it dry but apply it in thin coats other wise tou will end up pulling layers of paint off. once its dry let it for 20-30min paint it let that cure for an hour, the vellago paint comes off real easy with these fluids, so just damp an area and rub lightly and you will see your under coat coming trough, also use warm water.!

oh and have fun with it, looking forward to seeing what you do and if you enjoy it :)

Tried the chipping fluids today and it wasn't a great success.....i rushed putting on the paint without letting the chipping fluids properly dry and it all cracked up. ::)

But it did give me a chance to try out chipping and i have to say that the fluid works very well, the paint just flakes off at the slightest touch of a toothpick.....only problem is i just dont think it looks right on a firearm, i was after a more worn look not battered look.

b08e0b19.jpg
2dc12654.jpg

But after Chris S suggested i try pigs for the same effect i remembered i had a new AK Dark Steel arrive the other day, after just a few seconds rubbing with a brush, Q-tip and a good ol' finger tip i got these effects without too much effort...

bc9b1387.jpg
add2ea6a.jpg
6a61a29c.jpg

So a change of plans is in order i think, try weathering using pigs on all edges and details. :p

TTFN Matt

That's a shame about the chipping fluids. However, you're getting a cool effect with the pigs. Really nice work there, Matt. :)

I agree with Igard! Too bad about the chipping fluid. But it looks like you are on the right road for recovery!

Id agree with Jamaicanmodels69.
That effect turned out to look pretty realistic, especially on the last pic on the end of the scope.

Latest posts

Back