DL-44 ANH blaster prop

fubar

OK as my A-Wing is on hold my need to do something Sci-fi needs to be filled so i'm going to have a go at my present that Santa kindly gave me. ;D

OK lets have a little quiz and see who can guess what it is.....winner gets a hug from a Wookie or a trip to Druckenwell. 8)

IMG_1253.jpg

Here's your first and maybe only clue.....the other parts are too easy and will prob give it away. ::)

P.S. If you think you know but wanna give others a chance to guess then PM me and i'll say if your correct. ;)

TTFN Matt

Re: Mystery kit???? :p

Could be part of an engine barrel? Is that resin? ???

Nope, I haven't the foggiest.

That tank's looking good though. :)

Yes it is resin and i was a bit sneaky and also gave a few hidden clues in my original post. ;)

And thanks the tanks going nicely, its nearly done now just weathering to go. 8)

TTFN Matt

Ok heres another clue.....i'm sure this will give it away.

IMG_1257.jpg

Happy New Years all.

Thanks for looking

TTFN Matt

Since your signature block STATES that Solo shot first! I am incline to say its Solo's Blaster pistol!

Or not?

Take care!

Norm.

Well done mate, spot on, i thought it would give it away.

It's a resin model of a DL-44 heavy blaster pistol, this is the Doopydoos ANH DL-44 resin prop model to be exact. It's based off a first gen cast of a Mauser broomhandle automatic pistol which the film prop was based on. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96

Much the same as the Stormtrooper E11 was based on Sterling SMG's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_submachine_gun

I've never worked with resin before so this should teach me something new. :)

As you guessed first and i'm a man of my word what do you want as a prize a hug from a Wookie or a trip to Druckenwell? :p

TTFN Matt

This will be my first resin kit so before i start i'm just having a look around the web for any tips and advice on working with resin. Seems my first job is to clean the parts to remove the mold releaseing agents off otherwise the kit will have problems staying in one piece. :-\ Then it seems that only CA glue will hold it together properly (and we know how much i love that Aliens blood glue :p ) and that most paints have trouble sticking to resin, seems acrylics or laquer based paints give best results. Are there any health issues with resin, like toxic dust or something else wierd like that?

The model itself looks really nice, just like the E11 kit they do, this is the ANH version and i'm not sure how this differs from the ESB and ROTJ versions. There are lots of little details in the molding like serial numbers, ranges on the sight and screw heads.....lots of chance to practice some weathering. I had thought to mod it slightly by hollowing out the main body and adding some weights to give it that realistic feel when handled but surprisingly the model feels quite weighty already so i may not bother.

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

It's been a long time since i last handled firearms and i'm trying to remember what type of finish they have paint wise, if memory serves they have a flat matt type finish not a glossy paint finish is that correct?

Thanks for looking.

TTFN Matt

Looks like a nice kit!

Did it come with a display stand? As for the color! Just do plenty of research about that Pistol and sometimes you can find a step by step instructions on how to make is Perrrfect!

Will be following this one for sure

@schweinhund227 No the model didn't come with a stand, Doopydoos do sell display stand but they are resin kits too so i may as well make something myself that will also hold my E11 at the same time.

Found some nice ref pics, although as with most of these google searches there are many different sites that all claim to have the canon facts about something yet all manage to be slightly different in some way or other. I have found out a few things i never knew though, apparently the original ANH prop was made from a Mauser Frank Sinatra used in an earlier movie...

http://www.partsofsw.com/dl44sw.htm

Also i now know the difference between the ANH and ESB versions of the gun.

The original ANH prop..

Dl-44.jpg
Han-s-DL-44.jpg

The one used in ESB...

DL-44rotj-1.jpg
Han-Solo-s-DL-44-Blastech-Blaster.jpg

Quite a few changes and i never noticed before in all the years i been a fan.....and i call myself a Star Wars Nerd lol

Thanks for looking

TTFN Matt

You can also use 5 minute epoxy for glue. I think it will hold better than CA. It is what I have been using on the Brakiri Cruiser.

Also, you really want to put down a primer coat on resin. I won't always do this on styrene, but with resin I will. I am using Rustoleum primer. Not sure if you have the same thing over there...

Funny you mention primer, after my Sherman i been wondering what diff primer makes? For the Sherman i just used ordinary black acrylic paint and it seemed to work fine! What, if any, benefits are there to using one of these 'proper' primers? I see most post by pros mentioning primers and wonder if i'm missing out on an esential step! ???

TTFN Matt

P.S. Can a moderator change the name of this thread to something like "DL-44 ANH blaster prop" please. lol

In the words of good ol' Han "sometimes i amaze even myself". I been sitting here searching the net all day long and forgot to check my own library of Star Wars books.....look what i found. :eek:

ceae0b6a.jpg

It has all sorts of nerdy goodness in there, including full cutaway images and full details of of operation.....even the layout of Hans holster rig. And an image through the scope that i'm gonna try my best to put onto the eye piece of the 'scope'. :p

90f6312d.jpg
20e7719a.jpg
5ae9d8db.jpg

Thanks for looking.

TTFN Matt

Wow nice piece! As Grendels has allready said definitely put a primer coat down, this will give the paint something to stick to. Normal paint wont 'bite' into the resin like primer will, I use acrylic primer and paint. Also as you say give it a good wash first, I use fairy liquid. And use epoxy 5 min glue, super glue will go brittle. Cant wait to see how this turn's out!

Using plastic model paint on plastic models doesn't always require a primer. For example Tamiya acrylics are not a true acrylic. They will thin with lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner will bite into the plastic, dissolve a microscopic layer of the plastic and allow the paint to bond with the plastic. This will not work with resin it is a different type of plastic. So the paint will have nothing to "bite" into.

A primer will put down a layer of paint that the acrylic can bond to. Most primers will bond to almost any surface, so for something like Resin, it is necessary.

I have used both enamel primers and acrylic primers on resin with no problems.

Grendels said:
I am using Rustoleum primer. Not sure if you have the same thing over there...

We do, you can get Rustoleum from Homebase here in the UK. :)

I used Rustoleum plastic primer on my Maquis Raider, but it seemed a little thicker than the Tamiya primer I'd used previously.

Latest posts

Back