DIY: Light Tent/Box for Photography

TBadger

Demolitions Expert
I came upon the realization that I lacked the basic accoutrement and tools of a decent photographer. My budget further impeded me getting the tools from the retail world. I searched the net and found some tents for anywhere from $30 for a small one barely large enough for a soda can to enormous ones that could fit a computer tower inside for over$250. These units didnt even include the lighting that you'd need to get it all running! So I went to Lowe's and picked up some cheap supplies to construct my own. Figure I would drop a tutorial in here just in case others wanted a much cheaper, effective solution to even lighting :)

Supplies: (2) 10' lengths of 1/2" CPVC pipe (I only used about 13.6 feet so it depends on your measurements )
(4) 1/2" CPVC 90 degree Street Elbows
(4) 1/2" CPVC Tee Elbows
(4) 1/2" CPVC End Caps

(1) Jar CPVC Cement

I wanted to make my Tent a 24" Square so I cut my piping into (4) 24" pieces with a Razor saw and i figured a suitable height would be 16" so I cut out (4) of those as well.

DSC_0067.jpg
Starting Supplies
DSC_0068.jpg
I sbegan by using the CPVC Cement to afix the endcaps onto the SHORT pieces I cut
DSC_0069.jpg
I then glued the Tee junctions in place while using the table to keep the frame level
DSC_0071.jpg
I dry fit the Street Elbows onto the frame and then glued them in place, letting the entire assembly dry about 30 minutes
DSC_0070.jpg
* after dry fitting I marked the joints so i maintained alignment when gluing*
DSC_0072.jpg
Once all was dried, I just slip the legs into the elbows and have a full standing frame ready to be draped and lit

** I DO NOT GLUE THE LEGS IN PLACE** THIS MAKES IT SEMI COLLAPSIBLE AND EASILY STORED IN A CLOSET WHEN NOT IN USE

Speaking of, I shall complete the build this evening and provide an update and some sample pictures to show the results of this endeavor.

-BADGER

May be budget wise.....but really.....that is how most of the pro photographers from FSM or the similar magazines use for a photo booth at shows. Mind you they don't glue it all together so they can break it down easily....but for the most part, that is how they do it.

I tested the rig out and it works great, but my wife needed something larger for her designer cakes and cupcake business, so now I have a full size tent :) Pics to come later

Badger, I guess after reading this that putting my completed builds on my table and snapping a pic with my cell phone isnt a very good solution LOL ;D ha ha. Nice idea and good build man. Maybe Ill purchase the supplies and build one myself for future completions. Very informative tutorial as well. Thanks my friend.

Latest posts

Back