Decals not sticking

JonW

On my last model, the decals did not want to stick. They were from a sheet of decal paper that I used previously with no problem. The only thing I can think of is that I got the clear on too heavy. Would this cause them not to stick?

No , probably a contaminant atop the clear .
Or some of the decals have gone bad in a section of the film -- I've run into that on old decal sheets ; some work and others don't .

Did you use any setting solution?
What was your clear coat? I use Future, and I also have used it to help problem decals adhere, or to fix decals that have peeled away from the model. I will just put a little bit down on the spot where the decal will go, with a paint brush.

I've had this happen before too. I've had some success by with Micro liquid Decal solution. The trick is to paint the area where the decal is to be positioned then apply the decal atop of it. With a really wet cotton bud, wipe the excess away out from the decal as you position it in place. Once the decal is in place use a damp paper towel to lightly press the decal in place the roll out any air bubbles with a damp Q-tip. The tricky part is use just enough of the solution to make it stick without it oozing all over the place (less is more). Clean the area of any solution that has seeped out from under the decal. Then let everything dry over night before using a setting solution in stages.

The MPC (Airfix) decals in the 70's were the worst about not sticking & you had to use straight vinegar and a hammer to make them conform.

You can also mix a little white glue with warm water, brush it on and let it dry for a minute before applying the decal. Then tamp the decal down with a moist cotton swab. It always works for me.

Latest posts

Back