Decal Solution Questions?

letsgobrowns82

Okay so I have recently finished decaling my F-16 Aggressor by Tamiya. Upon purchasing this kit I also ordered Testors Decal Setting Solution to try out. I've always wondered how well it worked. It claims to basically make the decals melt right into the paint but it really didnt seem to do that for me. I mean they look good but I cant say I noticed a huge difference using this or just placing them on without it. I gloss coated the entire model prior to putting on the decals like your suppose to and like I said they came out good but I guess I was just expecting too much out of this stuff. Anybody have any advice, or maybe some other brand that really "sinks" the decals into the model, panel lines and all.

Thanks
Aaron

Have you tried multiple applications? Sometimes, especially with thick carrier, film repeated applications will really make a difference.

I will give that a try. What I did this time was wet the surface with the solution, place the decal on, then let it sit for a minute and I took a Q-tip that a damp with the solution and lightly blotted the decal down into place. Next time I will try to use more applications and try to keep the decal wet with that solution for longer so that maybe that will help it to sink in more. Thanks for the advice! ;D

I use Micro-Set and Micro-Sol. Tamiya decals are notoriously thick and I usually do at least 3 applications of Sol before they are down tight.

letsgobrowns82 said:
Next time I will try to use more applications and try to keep the decal wet with that solution for longer so that maybe that will help it to sink in more.

Just so you know, unless you've clear coated over them or something, theres no reason you cant go back over the decals now. They dont have to remain wet for it to work, it can still be applied effectively on dry decals. Ive used softening solution repeatedly for days on stubborn, thick decals.

I'll second Ace's use of Micro-Set and Micro-Sol.
I've used the Testors, but the other is a MUCH better product.

I find that even a perfect decal application wont have that painted on look until you do a matt overcoat.

I'm confused. Are these chemicals you actually use to slide the decals off the sheet, or do you just use water for that and then apply this to the decal after it has set on the model?

I've been wondering how to tone down the glossiness and look of decals on my models. What I do now is spray on a clear coat and then follow up with dull-cote, but it doesn't work that great.

One is a setting solution, the other a softening solution. I personally dont use the setting solution and just use water, then use the softening solution until it snugs down around the details.

Cave_Dweller said:
I'm confused. Are these chemicals you actually use to slide the decals off the sheet, or do you just use water for that and then apply this to the decal after it has set on the model?
Still soak the decal in water as normal. These solutions go on the model

Cave_Dweller said:
I've been wondering how to tone down the glossiness and look of decals on my models. What I do now is spray on a clear coat and then follow up with dull-cote, but it doesn't work that great.
Clear coat the model. Apply the decals an setting solutions. Then do another clear coat.
That will not only even out the finish, but the initial clear coat will help the decals adhere better.

Yeah Cave, Here's the method I use. Cut the desired decal from the sheet and imerse it in warmish water for about 10 seconds. Then pick it out and let it sit for another 20-30 seconds. Put a bit of the Walthers solution on the model, slide the decal (carfully with tweezers) off the backing paper and onto the model. Then adjust to final position and blot with a Q-tip. A very light coat of the solution is then applied to the decal and that's it. The Walthers solution I like to use seems fairly "hot" and softens and "melts" the decal fairly quickly so positioning needs to happen as fast as possible. The timing of the water soak and removal from backing sheet vary a bit depending on decal manufacturer. You will find, as others have done, the procedure that works best for you. It is important to have a gloss surface to apply decals onto. Your final sheen on the model, be it dull, gloss or anything in between, will be dictated by your final clear sealer coat. Have fun with it buddy!!

I picked up that walther's decal solution last night and gave it a try. Seemed to really reduce the thickness of the decals and indeed make them blend in subtly better. Thanks for the tip!

I've used the Microscale decal soultions (microset and microsol) for years. I use future before and after application. Now if you have difficulty having decals laying down and conforming. Using the Microsol helps with softening the decal more.

HOWEVER, HERE's A TRICK FOR EVERYONE.

Put a cup of water in the microwave and bring it to a boil. (HANDLE WITH CARE) With a Q-tip, dip it in the hot water than straight down onto the decal and hold for a few seconds. DO NOT ROLL OR SCRUB SIDE TO SIDE) Lift staright up. Have a paper towel on hand to soak up the excess water. JUST DAB LIGHTLY. It will melt the decal right down. It will not hurt the decal. Allow to dry and when happy. Take a Q-tip wet with Furture (not soaking) and gently run it around and over the decal, sealing it in place. It works like magic.

Cheers

Wow! Thanks everyone for the awesome tips/advice. You've all been very helpfull. I ended up ordering Microscale's solvent and setting solution and I'm going to give that a try.

Okay so I just did the Aim-9's for my F-16 and wow. These Microscale products are awesome. After I painted the missiles I gloss coated them, let that sit for three days and now I just finished putting all the decals on with the set/solvent and I cant believe how great this stuff worked. It just made the decals so soft and they literally melted into the paint. Really wish I would have ordered this stuff a long time ago. I would highly recommend it to anyone out there thinking about trying it out.

Latest posts

Back