Decal help

FW190A-8 said:
A short time after you put it on the decal you will probably find that the decal wrinkles up a bit. DO NOT try to flatten or smooth it down!

^ this.

just let it do it's thing, touch it and you've got a goopy mess.

I also use Polly S decal solution as well and really, most brand names will work just fine. I'm sure some may be 'hotter' than others but I've never used one that didn't work well enough.

I've never used the Revell stuff but I have used the Modelmaster and I don't recall any issues.

I checked the Vallejo site, all i could find was a solution for setting the decal in place and another thats a sealant but i couldn't see a solution for softening decals ???

I've tried MicroSol, Tamiya Mark Fit and Gunze Mr Mark Setter. All are good. I just prefer MicroSol because it has worked for me and I can get it locally ... although, not even MicroSol has much impact on some of those thick Tamiya decals. You will soon find a brand that suits your needs.

it doesn't hurt to have a few different brands at your disposal ,they differ in ingredients and some work better on certain decals than others.

some of the older solvents, back in time use to be really really hot chemicaly like the original solvaset and champs brand because the decals were so thick back than,.. it would instantly turn a modern decal into goo.
solvaset have since changed their formula to a much more tame solution.( it really upset the railroad guys too !)
you can still find old stock in some shops .. it has a more amber color to it ..so keep an eye out and snatch some if you find it
It will lay those Tamiya decals down no problem.Champs quit making there sol several years ago.
but it may still be around in some shops gathering dust.It's so strong that most people diluted it !
microsol is not bad, it's acetic acid, but multiple applications can sometimes help.
it doesn't have much effect on Tamiya, the newer solvaset works a little better on those.

bottom line - it's good to have a range of sol weapons on hand they all vary in composition and strength

almost forgot , for you lucky guys across the pond you can get DACO .. it come in 3 strengths.. I haven't found any stateside or tried it...but I've read great things about it ..their "strong" is supposed to take any brand decal down to submission.

http://ultra.glo.be/daco/
FPR01.gif

fubar said:
I checked the Vallejo site, all i could find was a solution for setting the decal in place and another thats a sealant but i couldn't see a solution for softening decals ???

The Vallejo system is quite different, and as with many of these products the naming doesn't always make sense. There is even conflicting information on their blog as to how its meant to be used.

The "Decal Medium", the one with the orange 'Alcohol Based' label, is in fact the softener. Apply to the surface, apply the decal, apply a little more and blot any excess. Let it do its thing.

The "Decal Fix", the one with the blue 'Water Based' label, is basically an acrylic matt medium which will seal the decal, feather the edge, and make its sheen match that of the matt paint.

One of the contributors on their Modeling Blog suggests applying the Decal Fix to the surface first (the matt medium), then the decal, then the Decal Medium (the softener).

I've used MicroSet/Sol for literally decades but am now experimenting with the Vallejo system. I will NOT say it is better or worse, but if is definitely different. The Vallejo softener contains a small amount of some sort of medium (leave a few drops in a palette overnight and in the morning you have a translucent, soft blob) which makes it quite different from MicroSol which is just pure softener. My initial assessment is that the Vallejo system may have a bit of a learning curve to its use, but it has the potential for great results.

it's sounds similar to using Future .. future works quite well at pulling a decal down into panel lines and over rivets..just takes a good while to shrink and dry.

I've also heard people use dilluted pva glue the same way and swear by it.

Awesome help guys many thanks, i shall get hold off a small selection of these 'sols' and try them out on my next build. The Daco website says they help advise Revell so i may try the Revell decal softener as well despite it being nearly twice the price. ::)

Happy New Year guys.

TTFN Matt

ScaleModelMadman said:
Splashcoat said:
Sadly, the decal itself is probably a write-off.

Whats wrong with the decal?

I don't see any silvering and with a little softening solution it will snuggle right down.

I haven't gloss coated a model before applying decals in over a year (which equates to over 30 models) and have yet to have a problem.

Well waddaya know? It worked. I guess I might just be a bit too quick to give up on a decal. If I don't get it just right the first time I've pretty much wrecked the thing... live and learn.

Latest posts

Back