Darth Vader's "Refit" TIE Fighter

Looking good Matthew. About the darth farter, you'll never see him isolated like that so I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have something better laying around. And some lighting will change his looks completely when he is in his seat.

Some nasty fit issues there.
Been a long time since I've seen this one being built from the ground up

Quaralane said:
Some nasty fit issues there.
Been a long time since I've seen this one being built from the ground up

Same here and fine molds is releasing this kit soon.

I "finished" one of these recently. After seeing what you intend to do with yours, maybe I'll pick another one up ( hopefully in better shape than the last one ) and "light" it up also.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

After several failed attempts, I managed to get one of the boxes done.
I'm not sure which was more painful - Whittling every little piece out of styrene and gluing them all together,
or the realization that I'll have to repeat the process five more times (4 aft, 2 foward).

DSCF1413.jpg

DSCF1430b.jpg

Still haven't addressed the gap on the outside of the wings. I really want to re-build that module, to sharpen the details
and give it more depth, but I'm not sure if or how I can pull it off.

RedDragon62 said:
I "finished" one of these recently. After seeing what you intend to do with yours, maybe I'll pick another one up ( hopefully in better shape than the last one ) and "light" it up also.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

If I ever decide to build another one of these, I hope someone throws a brick at my head. ;)

If I ever decide to build another one of these, I hope someone throws a brick at my head. ;)
[/quote]

Lmao...........I know the feeling brother. I did my share of em effin this kit myself

Great work on the recess detailing, the weakest area on this old kit... no, wait, it's the toilet Vader... no, wait, it's the lack of panel lines on the surface of the cockpit ball... no, wait, it's the warped fuselage halves... no, wait...

Finished the second round of recessed areas.
Also added more detail to the first set. They looked a bit plain after I'd photographed them.
I've never scratchbuilt anything before, and it's quickly turning into an obsession.

DSCF1467b.jpg

DSCF1469b.jpg

Many thanks for all the comments and support.
It's kept me motivated throughout.

I reached an impasse. As long as the two halves of the ship were mismatched, I couldn't finish the inserts/panels for the forward recesses
...or work on the cockpit, or the interior of the cutaway sections, etc.
Whenever I thought I had the right fit, something would shift and it was too much aggravation.

The first problem was the keys at either end of the pylons.
They were mismatched, ridiculously close to the edge, and I had to knock both of them out just to get the two halves somewhat aligned.

DSCF1553b.jpg

The second problem was the cockpit opening, where the plastic had warped inward.
I tried to find something spherical to re-shape the plastic and discovered that standard lightbulbs are a perfect fit.

I taped my way up either side of the hull, starting from the back, where things seemed to align better.
Then, I ran everything under hot water and coaxed the front section together.

DSCF1560b.jpg

DSCF1567b.jpg

It'll take at least one more pass, perhaps with hotter water next time, but it's off to a good start.

DSCF1576b.jpg

Does anyone have experience using UV LEDs?
Has anyone used them to light cockpits or control panels?
...that is, relied on paint to supply the light rather than using std. LEDs and/or fiber-optics?
Was it difficult to mask the typical blacklight (blueish) glow in areas you didn't want to light?

Another question...

I've used Tamiya White putty twice to fill small gaps.
I lightly sanded the area before applying but, on both occasions, it seemed like it didn't cure properly.
It either flaked away or had the consistency of old chewing gum stuck to the bottom of a table.

Did I do something wrong, or is that typical?

If I go back over the areas with Squadron's, are the two compatible or will I need to get rid of the Tamiya stuff first?

Matthew Amundsen said:
Does anyone have experience using UV LEDs?
Has anyone used them to light cockpits or control panels?
...that is, relied on paint to supply the light rather than using std. LEDs and/or fiber-optics?
Was it difficult to mask the typical blacklight (blueish) glow in areas you didn't want to light?

I have played around with them, but never put one in a model. I am pretty sure that they won't be hard to light block.

They have a purplish color to them, and you would have this flooded in the cock pit, but I think this is a good idea.

Matthew Amundsen said:
Another question...

I've used Tamiya White putty twice to fill small gaps.
I lightly sanded the area before applying but, on both occasions, it seemed like it didn't cure properly.
It either flaked away or had the consistency of old chewing gum stuck to the bottom of a table.

Did I do something wrong, or is that typical?

If I go back over the areas with Squadron's, are the two compatible or will I need to get rid of the Tamiya stuff first?

I have not used the Tamyia putty, but Squadron I have used. Not a fan of it. I use to be then I found bondo spot putty at an automotive store and now I won't use anything else.

UPDATES

The solar panels are just about done. I won't know for sure until they've been primed. You'll noticed I decided not to rebuild the modules on the exterior. Given the scale and the quality of the kit, it wasn't worth the effort.

DSCF1611b.jpg

The holes for the laser turrets have been drilled and puttied. Because of the thickness, shape and angle of this area, a single pass with the Dremel seemed risky. So, instead, I worked my way through several bit sizes (3/32" to 5/64") and finished it off with a rattail file.

DSCF1646b.jpg

I'll need to work on the cockpit before I can actually install the turrets. The plan, right now, is to draw them into the cockpit area and light them from behind with 3mm LEDs, which will be hidden behind a scratchbuilt console.

DSCF1636b.jpg

The forward recesses are, for the most part, done. They look fine from the front, but I noticed there's still quite a bit of space that should be filled. When you look down and toward the cockpit area, it's obvious that it's just stage dressing. Rather than mess with the inserts, I'll glue a few odds and ends onto the interior of the hull.

DSCF1676b.jpg

DSCF1678b.jpg

DSCF1682b.jpg

DSCF1685b.jpg

DSCF1696b.jpg

The exhaust ports have been glued, hogged and puttied. I'm not entirely confident they're symmetrical. The registration(?) outlines were smaller than the parts, and none of the detail molded into the kit is symmetrical. So, I just had to eyeball it and hope for the best.

DSCF1663b.jpg

DSCF1670b.jpg

Ideally, the inserts for the fuselage should be stripped and rebuilt for added dimensions. I didn't want to invest that much time, so I just made a few simple modifications.

The top insert needed to be filed down on one end, so the wires or conduits were flush with the hull. The subsequent gap at the back will be filled with styrene when I mount the endcap or tailpiece. The horizontal ridge toward the back of the insert was too short, particularly on one side. Rather than dump putty on it, and risk filling in the detailwork, I rounded off the corners. I also had to fill a pothole toward the front, where the plastic sank during/after the molding process.

DSCF1616b.jpg

For the bottom insert, I shortened the gap between the conduits and the hull and will fill in what remains with a scrap of styrene. Also, the conduits were close enough to the edge that I just rounded the sides of that section off, to give it more dimension. The back section had an odd shape, and I wasn't confident I'd be able to putty and sand it cleanly. So, I beveled the strips on either side and contoured the middle.

DSCF1622b.jpg

The lids for the boxes (I don't know what else to call them) gave me some grief. They weren't a perfect fit, and it was hard to get in there with a file or sandpaper. After it's primed, I might try an emory board... or maybe a coat of glue... to get rid of any seams.

The fuselage itself has been a challenge. I wanted to recreate the panel lines along the sides, as seen on the original model. I thought it looked better. Unfortunately, I did a lousy job scribing them. A few have already been puttied over. Again, I'll wait until it's primed before I decide to keep them (and fix them) or scrap the idea altogether.

FuselageReference.jpg

DSCF1620b.jpg

That's about it, for now. Hopefully, I'll get some more work done over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back