Darth Vader's "Refit" TIE Fighter

Matthew Amundsen

star_wars_ties_trench.jpg

Darth Vader's "Refit" TIE Fighter
AMT|Ertl Kit# 8916

Rather than copy the studio model, I've decided to go with the premise that Vader's ship was
refitted after it's collision with another TIE pilot, as seen in Episode IV. ...in other words, cheat in
addressing all the flaws in this kit.

Since this is my first build in over 15 years, and my first ever attempt at lighting, I'm counting on
all of you to tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to improve. BE BRUTAL.

Laser Turrets

The only way to light the laser turrets on this thing, that I could think of, was to build new ones.

DSCF1365b.png

Since I'm on a tight budget, I rummaged through some old kits until I found this clear sprue from a DS9 Runabout.
It was round, uniform, had few imperfections (seams, scratches, inclusions) and was an overall good fit.

DSCF1321b.png

Using my Dremel as a micro-lathe, I cut a 1.25" section, inserted into the chuck and (very carefully) turned out a new set of
laser turrets. It took quite a bit of time, but I think they'll work ...and I saved about $20-25 on materials.

DSCF1353b.png
DSCF1345c.png

Oh thats very nice work.....never thought to use my Dremel like a lathe before!

TTFN

Off to a good start! and yes the easiest way to light those lasers was to start over from scratch.

The kind of project I Like, clearly the budget solutions I like too :)

Keep on the good work.

Looking forward to this Matthew.

Just a thought, shouldn't Vader have red lasers? I thought that was his favorite colour, next to black :)

Barry

Barsprojects said:

Just a thought, shouldn't Vader have red lasers? I thought that was his favorite colour, next to black :)

Barry

The ILM models had orange lasers but laser bolts were green.

Barsprojects said:

Barry

I decided on green, because the laserfire was green, but now I'm wondering whether it might be possible to use red/green LEDs and switch the voltage for two different effects. I don't know... it's beyond my skill level at the moment, and I still have other areas to work on before I get to the lighting.

Is there an example of what it is you're after regarding the 2 lights? I did see some photo of a TIE which has orange plastic as Ozzman pointed out. But if you leave the laser part clear, unpainted, you can decide later what colour light will come out.

About the bi color led's (if that's what you mean), they only require 1 kind of voltage as far as I can see, the led has 3 legs and you can switch between the colors or mix them. Shouldn't be too hard if you get one of those sliding switches with 3 legs, you can turn on the red(or orange) or the green light. Like here: BICOLOR

Barry

Looks like a nice little project you have going here.
Plans on replacing Lord Vader?

Are you kidding Quaralane? The craftsmanship is superb! ;)

DSCF1353b.png

The supplies I ordered (weeks ago) are due to arrive today, and I hope to get more work done on this by the weekend.
So far, the only other "progress" has been in drilling out the engine exhausts ...or whatever those red lights were on the back of Vader's ship.

DSCF1321b.jpg

IMHO this Vader just need some details in the cockpit, a flush device and some toilet paper. It should do with its pose and general "look". :D :D

YOULI said:
IMHO this Vader just need some details in the cockpit, a flush device and some toilet paper. It should do with its pose and general "look". :D :D

What he said!

The 4 red lights on the back are the ion engines. Hence TIE fighter, twin ion engine. Vader is more awesome because he had 4. :p

I seem to recall reading somewhere the ILM crew called them bow ties or something like that.

YOULI said:

Haha, it really does look like that. Are you going to figure out a way to light up his chest box at all or will it be hidden?

danimal518 said:
YOULI said:

Haha, it really does look like that. Are you going to figure out a way to light up his chest box at all or will it be hidden?

Nah. It's too funny (and pitiful) to mess with. If anything, I might "bronze" him and leave him on my desk.

Mind the gap.

DSCF1394b.jpg

Managed to get a little work done tonight on the wings.
Filed and sanded all the imperfections from the molding process and tried to square everything off.
Added a little detail to the interior of the wings with some styrene "staples" from an old fiber-optic lighting kit.
I'll probably go back and add a few more details tomorrow, so it doesn't look so flat/boring.
Also covered the gap between the panel and the panel sheet, where the pylons meet the wings.

DSCF1393b.jpg

Working on the exterior tomorrow...

DSCF1366b.jpg

Latest posts

Back