cut styrene like a hot knife through butter?

Dunno....did a quick search on HLJ to see if I could find something like it, and no luck.

Never seen it before, but looks interesting. Can't decipher if it is indeed a "hot" knife, or a vibrating knife....I would bet on the prior though.

Perhaps it is a converted soldering iron. Might work well at a very low temprature. Doubt it is vibrating since it's got a smooth edge. A reciprocating (thank you spell checker!) or vibrating blade would likely be serrated.

The ultrasonic wave cutter is awesome, but very expensive. I do have a pyroguave which is a "hot" knife that takes #11 eXacto blades or wood burning tips.

holy yen batman! :eek: i really did not think that thing would be over 400 US. oh well guess im stickin with knives and the good ol dremel...

HA, see I was searching for "hot knives" on there, and the vibration thing was only a guess.....only thing that gave it away for me in the video was that he just placed it down on his table with no worries....if it was hot I would think he would have been more careful.

But yet....$400+......nah.....

I was at harbor freight tools and they sold a wood burner with a xacto knife blade holder as an option. I bought one, and I have used it a few times. It does cut styrene really well, but you have to be careful because it is melting its way through the plastic. Which leaves ridges as it cuts. I primarily use it to cut windows in models for lights.

And since it is harbor freight tools it is pretty cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-hobby-woodburner-38593.html

Ultra Sonic Cutter. Someone asked about it over at SSM about a year ago and they retail for a bit over a grand. One guy had one and demonstrated it and this thing cut through styrene like Excalibur through melted swiss. The boys there joked this fella would take a thumb off with it. One night, one drink, Bam...Kobayashi Maru

Interesting. I've watched the video in the OP very closely many times always assumed the knife was heated as the styrene is clearly melting, at least partially, as he cuts. Maybe a blade vibrating at 40kHz generates enough friction to heat the styrene just enough.

Either way, anyone familiar with Yumo knows he does a lot of re-modeling of his mobile suits so he probably gets enough use out of it to justify the expense. For the rest of us its one of those "would be cool but nah" kind of things. :)

That is more a wood burning kit as opposed to an osculating blade. Not so sure it would cut as clean as the $400 job, but for $20...worth a shot.

been cutting some today and one of my fingers is killing me. i know i shouldnt press on it but i just do.

its a pitty its so costly .

Elm City Hobbies said:
That is more a wood burning kit as opposed to an osculating blade. Not so sure it would cut as clean as the $400 job, but for $20...worth a shot.

I have the harbor freight version of this. It does cut styrene pretty easily, but if you are not careful, the cut is very thick, not a nice neat thin cut. In other words it takes practice.

Hi fella's,

Do you think this Dremel would be a good option as it can be used for soldering, cutting & burning wood (etching rather than just burning wood with 'malicious intent!!!).

Dremel Versatip Multifunctional Gas Torch / Soldering Iron
The cordless 6 in 1 gas torch. The perfect tool for soldering, melting, shrinking, pyrography, hot cutting, and paint removing. The only soldering iron that combines a multitude of applications in one tool, thanks to its ability to use 6 interchangeable tips.

Features:

Superior burning and soldering capabilities
Six different design tips provide maximum versatility
One tool for six different applications