Couple Quick Questions

shinai

I hope this is the right section for these questions

I have been modeling for about 3 - 4 years, but consider myself a part-time modeler in that I can only get to about 2 kits a year if I am lucky. That said I have only done two armor kits, but looking to improve my builds.

I am in the process of putting together a Trumpeter Big Turret KV2 kit that is German captured. That said, I hate the camo paint job they show and am going to paint it a solid color with a faded white winter camo paint job. In looking at older images it is hard to tell whether once captured in the field if they painted it the "typical" German Grey or just left it the typical Russian green before slapping on a iron cross. I have seen some images where the tanks are on the train and you can tell they are grey. Others that have the winter camo paint job it is harder to tell. I was just going to paint it the green and then put the winter camo as this makes sense if it was in the filed. What do you think?

Second, I have seen a lot of images where the top coat of paint is chipped exposing the metal underneath (see the image below). Is this painted under the base coat and then something like the hairspray technique used to get this shipping effect - I have seen people do this with rusting. Or is this typically painted over the base coat. Also what color is this?

Third, I am thinking of trying some Fruilmodel tracks on this kit. Any thoughts or maybe recommendations of alternatives? I know that Modelkasten has a set of tracks.

1d03cb00.jpg

Those chips in that photo are painted on, first that light green, then the metal color.

Fruil tracks are pretty much the only metal tracks of that kind, (there is another brand but they have a limited run of tracks) Modelkasten are much more involved when it comes to assembling and I wouldn't recommend them unless you have a huge amount of time and patience for small, tedious, multi-part assemblies. ;)

Thanks Ken - I did some more searching and found out how that effect was done and was able to locate the appropriate colors. BTW, you had some great youtube videos from a couple years back that I had bookmarked and now they are not there. Are they somewhere else on youtube?

THANKS!!!

Latest posts

Back