Color guide for the Tie Interceptor

BLT

Hello... I'm new here.
I've been out of the loop for a very long time. My old paints are 20 years old humbrol paints...

Now I've starter on Tamiya paints. Waterbased and a lot less toxic. However I don't know them that well yet. So I was wondering if any of you guys would know which ones to go fore when painting the Tie fighter and Tie interceptor?

I'm considering starting on Vallejo paints as well... There seams to be a little price difference, at least in my country. They're a bit cheaper. Anyway color guides from Vallejo would work too.

Thanx Brian

Thanx langy

I've seen that one. I'm sure the color translations are fine. I just don't think the color scheme on the model looks right. Looking through my books it looks to me that the thing was rather bluish.

I've resorted to getting some blue paints and going for it myself.

1614461889301551395434.jpg

Hello... I'm new here.
I've been out of the loop for a very long time. My old paints are 20 years old humbrol paints...

Now I've starter on Tamiya paints. Waterbased and a lot less toxic. However I don't know them that well yet. So I was wondering if any of you guys would know which ones to go fore when painting the Tie fighter and Tie interceptor?

I'm considering starting on Vallejo paints as well... There seams to be a little price difference, at least in my country. They're a bit cheaper. Anyway color guides from Vallejo would work too.

Thanx Brian
Hi BLT

Great project idea there, but I just wanted to give you a heads-up regarding the paints. Tamiya XF paints are advertised as "acrylics", but they are in fact solvent-based (alcohol) and toxic. Tamiya thinners come in two main versions: acrylic (X20A) and lacquer (with and without retarder). Their acrylic thinner has a high percentage of IPA, and is therefore toxic as well. Please make sure to use a respirator when using any of these. I would recommend a booth as well.

lf you want more info into Tamiya paints I discuss these in almost all my videos. My two recent SW builds feature them also.

Regards,

Enrique

Sorry, but that is simply not the case. Games Workshop, Vallejo, AMMO, AK, Scale75, etc. all offer water-based acrylics with no solvents whatsoever. Some of these brands only do that (e.g. GW); others have different ranges (e.g. AK). Paints like the examples below have no alcohol whatsoever, are 100% non-toxic, and can be thinned with just water.

Examples:

From AMMO

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/1453-fs-23070-dark-olive-drab.html
From AK

https://ak-interactive.com/product/medium-sand-standard/
From Vallejo

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/model-air-en/medium-yellow-71002/
I use all the above ranges, plus AK Interactive Real Colors and Tamiya LP (true lacquers) and Tamiya XF with lacquer thinner, but I have a respirator and a booth. Using anything with a solvent without a respirator is putting your health at risk.

Jimenez does indeed dispense of an alcohol in solution and chose an acrylate straight up . News to me .
https://www.hobbytime.nl/Customers/306/Downloads/Webshop/Downloadmodule/ACRYLIC COLORS.pdf
The 2-ethylhexyl acrylate can cause an allergic reaction according to the MSDS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Ethylhexyl_acrylate
The Vallejo paint range you quote is this, which is an artist's range and not for modelists. Their Model Air, Game Air, Game Color, etc. ranges, designed for wargamers and scale modelists do not contain alcohols, period. They are identical to AMMO Acrylics, AK Interactive acrylics, GW Acrylics, Scale 75 acrylics...

As for the presence of other chemicals in water-based acrylic paints like these, I am not disputing it. However, they are present in very low concentrations, and that is why they are considered non-toxic under EU regulations, which are quite stringent. These paints are all made in Spain according to EU regulations. Tamiya XF paints, regardless of thinner, create far more harmful fumes, given the high concentration of alcohols in them. Again, hence the very different labelling.

In my opinion, as someone who has extensively used both kinds, as well as enamels and lacquers, water-based acrylics are quite safe to use without a mask so long as there is adequate ventilation and one does not do things like ingest the paint. Alcohol-based acrylics are definitely not.

That is why I attempted to provide advice to @BLT.

Well I didn't mean to start a riot

I've learned a lot tho... Thank you very much. I was not aware that Tamiya paints where that harmful. I knew my old humbrols certainly are. I guess I'll make sure to air the room well and buy a paint booth... I have been considering vellejo, but just didn't wanna start with those at the same time... The thing is my son likes painting with the airbrush as well so I'll defenatly have to take some precautionary measures.

If I may I just wanna say that it's really great to be here... I've tried several communities that where just, well dead... No one replied to anything. That can certainly not be said about this forum... Cudos to you guys for that.

I'll post some images of the interceptor when I have some.

No worries Terra

No sadly it's an old empc kit... Really bad, but perfect for getting back into the hobby. It won't matter if I screw it up I have so many of the old kits laying around I told my self and my kids we'd build those first before tackling the Bandai kits... And they get to go nuts on em as well.

I have the set with 2 ties as well... That one seems a bit more detailed tho. And I have the Tie advanced. The one with Vader on the toilet

If you're concerned about toxicity, then you won't like what I have to share. The Fine Molds instructions for the TIE Interceptor is Mr. Color 74, Air Superiority Blue. I may be colorblind, but it looks to be a very good match. In fact, although the models in the first movie appear gray, they were all painted blue like this. The color just got washed out under the studio lights.

So you mentioned Humbrol. I assume they are enamel? Airbrushing enamels is just gross. I airbrush with lacquers and have no problem at all. I use an extractor and it takes care of fumes rather well, plus I wear a 3M cartridge mask. Here is my Fine Molds TIE Interceptor.

tumblr_p5xl8xe1fg1uovh9bo3_1280.jpg

Here's a link to the gallery.

That bluish gray color is fantastic. Last fall I built the Argonauts TIE Interceptor as well, using the same Air Superiority Blue. I live in Japan and I try not to sound like a snob, but for me lacquers are the best way to go. Second best is the newly formulated Mr. Hobby Aqueous. Tamiya lacquers are great, but their acrylics are weak. In the west, Model Master Acryl airbrushed with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner gives great results and the paints are sturdy, but unfortunately those are kaput now, I hear. I don't know anybody who can swear by Vallejo. I've bought a few bottles out of curiosity, but I've yet to use them. My Canadian friend says that Vallejo paints give inconsistent results.

Hey Steve

Thank you for your reply.

It's not that I'm overly concerned about toxicity... I just figured that Humbrol was rather old and not the brand I saw, when researching paints.

I've been in and out of the hobby for over 20 years.

I must say tho... the old Humbrols Enemal stuff, was great to spray, and they where tough as hell. I have alot of them from back then and they're still going strong. Where as I find the Tamiya alot less tough. But I'm certainly not well versed ind them yet to make that statement.

But the old Humbrols where thinned with thinners, and yeah that was kinda harsh at times:)

I've heard very mixed reviews about Vallejo, and that is why I decided to try out Tamyia.

In Denmark it's a bit more complicted getting my hands on MR og Testors. It's mostley Vallejo, Tamiya, Humbrol and Revell... the last one I won't even considder.

ANYWAYS... back to the color of the interceptor. I agree that they where rather blue. when I look at Sculpting a Galaxy og The Art Of Star Wars the models where very blue. so I guess the question is wheather to go for the "studio model" look or the "Movie" look.

I just posted an image gallery of the Argonauts TIE Interceptor I completed last year here. This one turned out even nicer, using Air Superiority Blue with a Mr. Weathering Color blue wash.

Latest posts

Back