Classic MPC C-3PO and R2-D2 uber detail build: Completed!

Re: Classic MPC C-3PO and R2-D2 uber detail build

:) Wow, impressive effort on the droids. I'm currently finishing up my mpc C3-PO kit but my droid is copper colored...not sure of it's alphanumeric designation yet.

You've put some considerable time on these old kits, if I'm not mistaken for some odd reason in mpc's infinite wisdom, the R2 model is one full scale size larger then C3-PO. Go figure.

I'm still hoping to snag a R2-D2/astromech droid kit sometime soon, til then I'll enjoy your fantastic builds! 8)

Mr.Max said:
:) Wow, impressive effort on the droids. I'm currently finishing up my mpc C3-PO kit but my droid is copper colored...not sure of it's alphanumeric designation yet.

You've put some considerable time on these old kits, if I'm not mistaken for some odd reason in mpc's infinite wisdom, the R2 model is one full scale size larger then C3-PO. Go figure.

I'm still hoping to snag a R2-D2/astromech droid kit sometime soon, til then I'll enjoy your fantastic builds! 8)
Thanks alot for that... the R2 kit looks like it's a little bigger, but it's not that bad. As soon as I have both next to each other we'll see how bad the scale is... but I don't think it'll be that bad! I got mine off eBay... you should find a plethra of them there!

Once I score a new job and a little disposable income I'll be hitting up eBay again.
Why newer, better detailed and accurate kits of R2 and 3PO have not been released by those that have the means to do so in the recent past is beyond me and I wish Ertl or someone could have released a nice Imperial Probe droid kit too. How did they miss opportunity?! :mad:

Mr.Max said:
Once I score a new job and a little disposable income I'll be hitting up eBay again.
Why newer, better detailed and accurate kits of R2 and 3PO have not been released by those that have the means to do so in the recent past is beyond me and I wish Ertl or someone could have released a nice Imperial Probe droid kit too. How did they miss opportunity?! :mad:
I always wanted a probe droid too... I think Fine Molds is doing some great work on updating the old kits since Ertl went out of bizness (or were bought out can't remember). I would love to see them do all the models from the SW universe including R2 and 3PO. Would be soooooooo sweeeeeeet!

Ok all... this build is so close to being done I can almost taste it and it tastes like chicken... wait... that is the KFC I had for dinner... LOL... Alright... Today saw the final leg completed... all I have to do to it now is put the hoses on the right foot and the body is complete... no biggy. So wanting to see what it looked like (yanno I can't wait either) I placed the dome on top and snapped a quick pic.

r2-testfit.jpg

Oh this is really starting to come together. I did some prelim trench work on the bottom of the base and decided to see where the holes are gonna go for the anchors. So I placed them both (R2 and 3PO) on the base and they fit perfectly. This is gonna be so good when it's finished... I'm just so giddy right now... I feel like a little girl!

r2-basetest.jpg

So then went to work on the dome... I gotta get the small details done. I made a compromise on the back of the dome details. I did get the scribed panel in but it's a bit smaller then the original. I don't know if it's because this dome isn't quite the right diameter or they made the panels a couple of millimeters too large or a degree or two off the center, but it was a good compromise and not that bad a trade off. What I ended up doing, since I didn't want to run the risk of pulling up the bare metal foil on the dome by masking and painting directly on the dome itself, I ended up painting a small section on a piece of industrial foil. Now I think I've found a really good replacement for Bare Metal Foil at a much cheaper price. Aluminum Metal Duct Tape. This stuff is almost the same thing as Bare Metal Foil except it's a bit thicker and the glue on the back is much much stronger not to mention you can get a roll of this stuff for about $3 from Walmart as opposed to $10 of one 12x6 inch sheet of the BMF). I find it tends to hold its shape better and won't rip half as badly as BMF... But, I took that painted piece and cut out the proper shape with my x-atco blade and fit it right on the dome with no problems whatsoever. I also took another piece and outlined the mood light in the back perfectly. Came out looking incredibly good.

r2-domedet.jpg

We're so close to completion here, but tomorrow is my birthday so I will take the day off to rest (who am I kidding, I'll probably do some work because I'm too close now). But more to come... same bat time... same bat channel!

These are coming along great. Cool project.

Thanks Scott and Q... It shouldn't be too long now til it's completed! Didn't get much of a chance to work on it today because my power supply on my PC got fried from a power surge. So have been dealign with that all day. Finally got that out of the way... oh and it's my Birthday today so Happy Birthday to me! ;D

Happy Birthday!

And this Duo is looking great!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
And yes....they do make quite the hansom couple....
;D

Thanks for the b-day wishes all... you are all great! Been dealing with some issues on the build lately. I've got the base all ready for laying some plaster down. Been working on the wiring under the base and getting it ready for plaster and while testing the wiring I discovered that the speaker in the body for the sound circuit became disconnected with no way to get to it to fix it. I am not happy! The only way I can get to it is to take it apart and resolder the wires. Not fun! But as far along as I am I'm not sure if I will or not. Gonna finish the base up and think about it awhile... will have some pics tomorrow.

OH NO!!!!!! :'(
That's terrible news...
Whatever you decide, you know you have the support of all of us. :)
;D

ModelMakerMike said:
OH NO!!!!!! :'(
That's terrible news...
Whatever you decide, you know you have the support of all of us. :)
;D

Thanks Mike... truly appreciate it! I hate when stuff like this happens!

Well I've been working on the base lately... almost have it done. Got all the wiring underneath it in and ready. But ran into a small problem. I wanted to make sure my wires were working and hooked up so I plugged the batteries into the voice circuit to test the lead wires to make sure they would work. And nothing. I looked closer and whaddya know, one of the speaker wires has come loose and I cannot get to it without some major disassembly.

r2-spkbad.jpg

I am so upset. I was so hoping that it would work. In retrospect I should have re-wired that speaker with some better gauge wires to begin with. So, the plans I had to make it to where it would also beep like R2 with the press of a button just went up in smoke. So I proceeded to work on the base. I decided to put a bolt in both of 3PO's feet to make him extra stable.

r2-3pofeet.jpg

Then I started drilling out the holes in the base. I drilled out two holes for R2 and tested it and it was too far back. His leg would have hung over the side. So I filled those holes in and drilled out two more holes for the bolts. I then painted the entire surface in flat black... you won't see the top of the base so it's basically for the outer rim.

r2-baseblk.jpg

When the paint dryed I covered my holes with electrical tape dammed the outer edge. This is so when I pour the plaster it will not seep over and be perfectly fit for the base.

r2-basedam.jpg

Before I did however, I wanted to make the ground look like it had been walked on many times, roughed and loose snow (decided on a hoth corridor type of feel). So I took a piece of styrofoam and began to flake off little bits and pieces on the base before I poured the plaster. Will give the illusion of chunks of snow/ice on the floor.

r2-basestyro.jpg

After that I poured the plaster. In order to get the tracks I took a couple of peices of putty and molded out a couple of foot soles and while the plaster was still wet, I tracked it thru the plaster.

r2-baseplast.jpg

As soon as the plaster was dried and before I removed it from the base, from the bottom I drilled the holes in it to match the holes in the base. This will allow it to be reposioned perfectly on the top and the bolts that run thru to the figures will actually hold it down on the base. Then I removed it from the top of the base and took it out and painted it flat white. Will touch up the white with some tans and mud colors. More to come!

Looking good.
Can't twait to see the base all properly painted and stuff.

Thanks Mike... I tried getting the 3PO footprints in it but it didn't quite come out... am either gonna carve out some foot prints manually (but being plaser this stuff is fragile), or use some epoxy clay to make some footprints before painting. Either way things are really coming along nicely!

Today saw the completion of the base and the setting of the figures. First I made sure that my electronics were gonna hold fast so taking some of my epoxy putty I secured them into the pre-cut sections I had made for them. The switch and the AC Adapter plug are now set in stone so to speak.

r2-baselec.jpg

As you can see, I also bolted both figures to the base. While that was hardening I went ahead and fixed some of the tracks in the "snow" for 3PO.

r2-baseprint.jpg

Didn't come out too bad, but that's when I noticed the feet weren't quite set "into" the snow. So I mixed up a little more plaster and set about to fix that issue. I piled some along the feet of both figures to give it a better look.

r2-baserefin1.jpg

r2-baserefin2.jpg

When the base was set and dry I needed to bring out a bit more of the detail. So, instead of using paint, I found a good tip from Adam Savage. Coffee! So I made a wash in extra rich coffee to bring out the muddy, dirty look of the snow and it really came out looking pretty nice. In any event, After the "coffee" was dried I did a light dry brushing of white over the top and now the base really comes alive.

r2-basedone.jpg

Now all I have left is to attach the dome to the top of R2, test the wiring, make a name plate for the front and this puppy will be complete! More to come... lemme know what you all think!

Looks good, and the tracks look fine! :)
Are you entering the big spring contest?

ModelMakerMike said:
Looks good, and the tracks look fine! :)
Are you entering the big spring contest?

Yeah... already did... wanted to get this done before I started working on my Contest entry

BIG UPDATE!

FINALLY!!!!!!!

After 3 long months and tons of glued fingers, I've finally completed the duo! This will be the last entry for the build. As I type the video is compiling and I hope everything goes well. So... to complete the build I had to make a name plate. So here's what I did... I made my own decal. Wasn't too difficult... First I started with an image I made in Photoshop...

r2-nametemp.jpg

then I printed it couple of times on plain paper to get the size right. When the size was right, I took a sheet of photo paper and printed it out in the highest detail I could get. I made sure to let the ink dry completely before continuing. Then taking some gloss clear spray I sprayed a couple of coats over the printed decal. I let it dry throughly. While waiting for it to dry, I cut out a couple of pieces of styrene to make the name plate. I glued them together and let that dry.

r2-nameplate1.jpg

Now just like any other decal I put it in some water, and it slid right off. I used a little distilled white vinegar (more commonly known as Decal Set but a helluva lot cheaper) and set it onto the plastic. Then, using some Future Floor Wax (this stuff goes a LONNNNNGGGGGGGGG way... I bought this stuff like 10 years ago and still have almost a full bottle!) I sealed the entire name plate and set it aside to dry... and it came out looking all shiny and new! :)

r2-nameplate2.jpg

I took some of my epoxy putty and put it on the base and then pushed the completed name plate into the putty. Since this stuff is pretty tacky by itself, it holds it pretty good when it hardens and then painted it flat white to match the base.

r2-nameplate3.jpg

Now it's time to finish up the droids. First up... I used some epoxy putty and put 3PO's arms into position. They aren't going anywhere now. Then I had to finish up R2. First thing I did was put a hinge on the back panel and moved the extra arm closer to the edge so it's easier to remove/replace.

r2-rearhatch.jpg

Then I have been dreading this part. I cut the circuit board in half. Why? With it whole it wouldn't fit on the top properly, but with it in two pieces I could tuck them into the dome further and once I did I tested it to make sure it would still work and it did. The way I set the chips on the board I was certain that if I halved it in the middle it would come away clean with no circuit damage and it did.

r2-brokecir.jpg

I tested out the circuit and everything still worked but now I was having another problem. Even thou I had soldered the capacitors to the board, the light flashing would stall out completely. So I tried something new. I soldered a jumper wire from the 12 pin of one chip to the 12 pin of the other and what do you know... no more stalling. Now it's time to glue the dome onto the body. This is the one part that took probably longer then anything else. I used 5 minute epoxy glue to glue it down... the problem with that is that you have to hold it down for at least an hour before it sets to a point where it don't move.

r2-holddome.jpg

Since the circuit inside is a tight fit, it has the tendancy to spring upward, so I had to sit there holding the dome down for about an hour to make sure that it wouldn't move anymore. When everything was dried, I did some touch up painting along the rim of the dome and in various other places. When you're handling prepainted pieces, it tends to wear off in spots so you have to go back and touch it up here and there. But I also printed up a good background image for it too. I found a great one of the Hoth Corridor built by MonCal that would be perfect. But alas it was too small to make a good background image... the paper is too small... would have to print it up alot larger to fit these two. But now without any further ado... I give you all the completed R2-D2 and C-3PO!

r2-complete.jpg

r2-comp2.jpg

r2-comp3.jpg

And just so you can see the scale I was dealing with, because this isn't an easy thing to see in the photos, I made a video so you can all see the flashing lights working!

R2-D2 and C-3PO Complete

I hope everyone enjoyed the build as much as I did. I want to say a special thank you to Grendel, Zombie, Bryan, MMTom, and of course Scott. You all have been great inspirations to me. I just hope that I was able to help someone out with this build and show that even on a budget, you can really make some really detailed stuff! And of course thanks go to everyone that has been watching and commenting on this build... Thank you all! Now it's on to the next project! :) Happy modeling everyone!

Latest posts

Back