Classic MPC C-3PO and R2-D2 uber detail build: Completed!

Re: Classic MPC C-3PO and R2-D2 uber detail build

Each colour LED has its own Voltage drop. You should be able to find a LED chart on line. Most LED's draw
20ma of currentand as was said before red drops 2.0v and blue drops 3.6v. You can not measure the resistance of a LED directly since they are an active device. You can measure the voltage drop across the LED though with a voltmeter.
To calculate the series resistor for the LED. where S= the voltage applied to the LED (volts)
V led = the voltage drop of the LED (volts)
I led = the spec current for the LED (amp)

R = (S - V led) / I led

I hope this is of some help.

Jim

Papermodder said:
Each colour LED has its own Voltage drop. You should be able to find a LED chart on line. Most LED's draw
20ma of currentand as was said before red drops 2.0v and blue drops 3.6v. You can not measure the resistance of a LED directly since they are an active device. You can measure the voltage drop across the LED though with a voltmeter.
To calculate the series resistor for the LED. where S= the voltage applied to the LED (volts)
V led = the voltage drop of the LED (volts)
I led = the spec current for the LED (amp)

R = (S - V led) / I led

I hope this is of some help.

Jim

It does a bit... thanks Jim... I'm a Jim too! :) As far as finding a LED chart that shows the values of all the different kidns of LEDs I have yet to find one. I can find partial lists that are very general, but nothing complete and substantial.

I've been looking for something like that! All I could find were general charts that didn't have much info. Thank you!

I realize it's been a little while since my last update and I figured it was time. I took a break from this darn circuit today and decided to finish the leg hoses on the completed leg today. Since I've been seeing questions lately about sprue stretching, I figured I would make a small little tutorial on how to do it and answer a few questions on how its done. I learned this trick on my own when I was a kid and wanted to make a rail or pipe for a model but didn't want to use wire. Why, because the glue I had didn't work on metal, just plastic (yeah I'm older then the invention of superglue!). So in order to use the glue, I had to stretch some sprue. For this project I'm making some pin holders for the wound wire hoses I made earlier. Here's how its done.

First, get yourself a small votive candle of some kind. If you're married or living with a woman you should be able to find plenty of these things around the house. Next, take out the parts from your kit and find a straight piece of sprue (that's those rod things that hold the pieces together. You'll end up throwing it away later, so any peice will do). I usually prefer to find a straight piece that doesn't have any part numbers on it and/or any mold lines. Once you find a relatively good piece, cut it off the sprue so you have just a straight plastic rod.

r2-sprue1.jpg

r2-sprue2.jpg

Now light your candle and hold the piece above it. Far enough away so you don't end up burning it, but close enough to keep the heat focused on the plastic. Keep turning it in your fingertips to distribute the heat evenly around the entire piece. What you're trying to do is create a thinner rod that you can use for detailing your model. As the plastic heats up you'll notice it start getting shiney and then it will begin to bend and warp.

r2-sprue3.jpg

At this point the plastic is now soft enough to stretch. Do so by pulling it away from the heat and grasping each end, pull them apart. Don't do it too quickly or the plastic will break. Do it too slowly and the plastic will harden again and you'll have to start over. Do it evenly and steadily.

r2-sprue4.jpg

As soon as you get the desired thickness you want, cool it off in some cold water. Personally I find it alot easier to just lick it with my toungue (yeah I know sounds gross but it works). This will set the plastic to that shape and will remain permanent. As you gain practice in this, you'll be able to pull just about any thickness of plastic wire you want or need. It's really easy to do, and you can bend it, cut it, shape it anyway you desire. It's a great way to add those little detailed pipes to a surface or wires to a panel. Remember, its in the little details like this that make or break a model. You can also use this same method to create small buttons or knobs. Since its the same plastic as your kit, your plastic cement will work here with no problems.

For this project however, I'm making some attachment pins for the wire hose on the foot cowlings. Since I don't have any CA glue (Superglue), I have to use plastic cement. I'm sure CA would probably be alot easier to work with, but I also wanted a attachment point that looks close to the old cable wire attachments they used in the real thing. So to do this, I cut the end of the stretched sprue off and held one end close to the candle flame to "mushroom" the plastic. Then while it was still hot, I placed the soft plastic on a flat surface to get a nice flat end for gluing. Plastic seems to weld together better when dealing with flat surfaces.

r2-mush1.jpg

r2-mush2.jpg

Once I got a good end "cap" look to it, I cut off a small pin shape to allow me to attach it to the surface of the model. I cut off the wound wire I made earlier into the lengths I needed then I made sure that the stretched sprue would fit in the small diameter holes of the wound wire ends.

r2-pin1.jpg

r2-pin2.jpg

In the battery box there is a attachment hole that I need to cover up. I did so by cutting a small "plate" from spare styrene. Then I glued it over the mounting hole. I then glued the pins atop that plate and onto the plate of the other half of the cowling. I let the pins dry completely overnight to allow th glue to cure.

r2-batt1.jpg

r2-batt2.jpg

Once dry, I then began bending the wire hoses slightly and placed each end on the pins I had created earlier. The hoses look great and don't look like they'll require any painting.

r2-legcomp1.jpg

r2-legcomp2.jpg

Now I just wish I had painted the "plates" silver before putting the hoses on! LOL In any event, I hope this little tutorial has helped someone understand what Stretching Sprue is and what it's all about.

I'm still working on this circuit and as soon as I get it done, I'm sure that assembly will be a breeze from that point on. More to come... lemme know what you think.

Really good walk through on this. Thanks for the tip.

Very nice tip.
Good solution for what you needed, as well

No problem guys... I saw a couple of questions about sprue stretching the other day and figured I would address it while I had to do it myself.

For the past few days I've been working on this circuit and trying to get it to work, still no luck. So I decided to take a break from it for awhile and worked on the top dome panels. As my friend Zombie_61 pointed out earlier, the model kit has the panels positioned wrong.

r2-domecomp.jpg

So today I cut the top panel section off and moved it about 15 degrees to make the support aligned above the main eye box.

r2-dometop2.jpg

r2-dometop3.jpg

I would have never noticed it if he hadn't pointed it out (like he's done so many times so far!) But, after this dries, I'll be able to repaint the dome and get the rest of the panels in and at least have the dome completed for assembly. More to come...

Awesome work.
I have to commend you to the level of work you are putting into this. I am sure you/we will be greatly rewarded when these two are complete. :)

Thanks Mike... am really trying to cover all the problems this kit has. it was one of the first kits that MPC put out in the Sar Wars line, and was probably one of the most detailed. But alot of the details they left out, leave alot to be desired. In my building of it so far, some of the things they left out make no sense. Like the top dome panels... why are they not lined up properly... or the front foot cowl... there's no detail on it whatsoever. It's almost like they got real lazy or really rushed to get it out. In any event I'm hoping that I at least get some of the bases covered in this build and hope it's well received.

Well, I think I was the target market for these kits when they first came out.
I think I built one in '78-79....and ya know what? I didn't notice it wasn't screen accurate, and I didn't care!
I thought it was kewl that such a model existed.
Their target, kids age 10-15 were pleased. :)
Nowadays we are more discerning and discriminating, but when these were manufactured they met the purpose. :)
I would like to build a set of these now. :)

ModelMakerMike said:
Well, I think I was the target market for these kits when they first came out.
I think I built one in '78-79....and ya know what? I didn't notice it wasn't screen accurate, and I didn't care!
I thought it was kewl that such a model existed.
Their target, kids age 10-15 were pleased. :)
Nowadays we are more discerning and discriminating, but when these were manufactured they met the purpose. :)
I would like to build a set of these now. :)

I totally agree... when I was a kid I built an R2 and a 3PO and made a big display box of the desert with sand dunes in it and a little escape pod painted on the background... I was thrilled with these kits when they first came out and had immense joy building them... and now as an adult an after years of model building under my belt I keep seeing little details that I can't believe I missed (and still do thanks Zombie). But I am finding that building them today, is just as fun as building them back then. The two kits I have are totally different castings. The first one didn't come with decals, it came with stickers. I have them here in the box. The second kit I'm using for parts has decals.

MPC was brilliant in a way that they made these kits appeal to a large audience. Detailed enough for kids to enjoy building and undetailed enough for us hardcore OCDers to want to fix and make screen accurate. Back when I first built these there was hardly any reference pics to go by. The only way to see any real detail was go back and see the movie in the theater several times (and bring a notebook with ya). Then came the movie trading cards. I musta spend hundreds of dollars on those cards and even thou they weren't high res, they still provided more detail that could be used. I remember using them extensively on building my falcon and snow speeder kits as a boy. Especially the falcon for the paint scheme!

Now I'm just reminiscing... those were the days when after building we'd fly them around our rooms staging galactic battles of our own and imagination ran rampant. I miss those times! :)

I've been trying to solve the dilemma of the dome. In painting this silver and then hitting it with dullcote, it comes out looking very grey. Not a good thing.

r2-graydome.jpg

So, after digging my closet some I found some Chrome Bare Metal Foil I had for another project and gave it a shot.

r2-baremetal.jpg

This is some cool stuff, it's real metal, like a very thing aluminum foil, and one side has pressure sensative stickum on it that when you press down on it it will adhere to the surface, so I laid some down as a test and it seems to look pretty good.

r2-baremetal2.jpg

That is until it comes to the thin sections between the blue panels. The stickam just isn't strong enough to hold it down in those tight little areas.

r2-bmprob.jpg

Another thing is that around this curved surface keeping the wrinkles out is a real tough task. But the surface with a little scuffing looks almost perfect for the dull sheen of the dome.

r2-bmsheen.jpg

I'm thinking I may be able to use this, and just use the tacky glue from the gold leafing kit to hold it down better. I don't know. Gonna work on it a bit more and see what I can come up with. If all else fails I'll have to get some Alclad and go to town. Will have to order some online (if anyone has a good source for it please let me know).

r2-midlegbulk.jpg

I also bulked out the middle foot's leg with some Magic Sculpt a bit to allow it to slide and hold it's position a bit better. The two little tabs I placed on it just weren't enough to hold it in place. Now it is quite sturdy and can hold itself up when the third leg is completely extended. Turned out looking pretty good.

More to come... hope you all are enjoying this.

Well you certainly fixed that inaccuracy of the dome!
I really like the foil effect, but yeah, I was wondering how it handled being wrapped over a convex shape without wrinkling. Like you said, with a little scuffing it looks pretty much right on!
;D ;D ;D

Definitely a good approach to dealing with the flaws.

ModelMakerMike said:
Well you certainly fixed that inaccuracy of the dome!
I really like the foil effect, but yeah, I was wondering how it handled being wrapped over a convex shape without wrinkling. Like you said, with a little scuffing it looks pretty much right on!
;D ;D ;D
It really does look great if I can just get it to lay flat without wrinkling. The edges are another problem... may have to test out some glues to see if I can get the edges to stick better. But it does look pretty much spot on with a little scuffing. Just gotta perfect the laying of the foil. Thanks for the love bro!

Latest posts

Back