Chipping Decals

steezy

Question for all you modelers out there. Is there any possible way of chipping water slide decals? I'm working on a piece and plan to use AK's chipping effect, but I don't really know what to do about the decals. I don't want them to look new over chipped paint. Thanks

you can do it when there dry but you need to be real careful not to go trough the paint below it. might be easier to paint them on and then chip

I think that's what I'll try. I'll be gloss coating before putting on the decals. Probably going to try carefully sanding them with a really fine grit and going with a coarser grit if I need to. Possibly touching up with paint. I doubt there is an easy or a right way to chip them.

I normaly will nick/chip them by removing pieces before I dip them in water then when applied they are chipped without need to worry about scratching paint.

Chipping them before hand may be difficult. I want to blend them in with the paint chipping under them. And the decals I use are very fragile. A laquer gloss coat will protect the paint well enough.

Carefully attacking the decal with a hobby knife or dental pick after it is applied to the model and completely dry is my usual method. Give it a light rubdown with fine sandpaper after you chip it for a faded appearence.

Not the greatest expample of this technique, but you get the idea...
dscn2376w.jpg

Nice! Those decals look very realistically weathered! I'm sure it'll take a little practice, thanks for the tips.

A little more traditional method than either AK or hairspray...but works wonders on decals:

5772675650_c85f550967_b.jpg

I love the GM Sunsanvil! That's the look I'm trying to get with an EZ8. Can you use AK or hairspray to chip decals? I wouldn't think it would work, but sounds possible.

Once you put the decal down, give it a coat of Micro Sol, which is a decal softener, and paint 5-10mins, your decal will chip very easily after that while it is still wet/damp from the Micro Sol.

I use Mr. Softner on my decals, and don't have Micro sol. It should work the same though.

So here's my plan:

Gloss coat over painting/chipping.
Apply decals and use softner.
Let dry a bit and go at it with tooth pick, razor, or any other pointy sharp thing.
Let them completely dry, and sand with super fine sand paper to smooth out.

The method I use is a little more "traditional", done as as part of my weathering (after all the main painting and decaling is done): a small piece of kitchen scrubby dipped in dark grey paint, excess blotted off, and then carefully dab the model with it to create the appearance of chipping. I will usually dry brush the same color where the chipping is at an edge.

That's how I've weathered in the past. Is that how you did the GM? It looks like you used a chipping effect.

steezy said:
Is that how you did the GM? It looks like you used a chipping effect.

Yup. No hairspray or anything like that. Just carefully placed "chips" using the bit of kitchen scrubber. :)

sunsanvil said:
steezy said:
Is that how you did the GM? It looks like you used a chipping effect.

Yup. No hairspray or anything like that. Just carefully placed "chips" using the bit of kitchen scrubber. :)

Nice work! I used to just to a small amount of paint chipping with a sponge. A few times I got the color wrong and it never really looked right, but most of the time I was happy with the results. I wanted to try the AK stuff to see if I could get a better look.

Latest posts

Back