Catwoman - A Real Shelf Queen :)

STUNNING ! simply Stunning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

great work, hats off to you sir ;D

I am trying to catch up on my orders so I haven't been able to do much this week, but I am inching closer to the finish line.

I put a semi-gloss clear coat on the boots. Here's one of those "a picture tells a thousand words" FSM-type photos just for fun:
cb55a926.jpg

I buffed the boots just a little with a cotton cloth to give them a little sheen:
21db41f2.jpg

I attached the claws to the hands with superglue. These are the resin copies I made of the kit's original vinyl claws, and they are much easier to work with:
f15f9e7f.jpg

a7267ac7.jpg

The claws and fingertip-thimbles will be painted a dark gunmetal-type color and given a black wash. I really wish I had left the forearms off the figure until the end because it's a little awkward to work on the fingers now. I don't have anything to brace my hands against and I'm not exactly surgeon-precise.

Thanks for hanging with me through this build!

Again Joesph, some great progress!! A real joy to follow along. Just a helpful hint if you have not gotten there yet....Mahl Stick! Little stick with a padded, rounded end....holds you painting hand to steady and allow you to get into any position. Google it up...make one in about 5 minutes!!

Keep it coming sir, she is a beauty!!! ;)

TRM said:
Again Joesph, some great progress!! A real joy to follow along. Just a helpful hint if you have not gotten there yet....Mahl Stick! Little stick with a padded, rounded end....holds you painting hand to steady and allow you to get into any position. Google it up...make one in about 5 minutes!!

Keep it coming sir, she is a beauty!!! ;)

Hey, thanks for the tip! I sort of mocked up a stick just to see if it would work and it does!

Excellent. Very natural looking skin, and the eys turned out awesome. Great job all around!

Thank you all. I'm open to suggestions on the type of base to use under this figure. I had originally intended to do a minimalist type of wooden base, basically just either painting it glossy black or staining it a dark color with a high-gloss finish. Maybe I need to stretch a bit and do something more natural-looking? Maybe a section of urban rooftop?

Joseph Osborn said:
Thank you all. I'm open to suggestions on the type of base to use under this figure. I had originally intended to do a minimalist type of wooden base, basically just either painting it glossy black or staining it a dark color with a high-gloss finish. Maybe I need to stretch a bit and do something more natural-looking? Maybe a section of urban rooftop?

I think a glossy black base would dertact from it. It would be too similar to the glossy black suit of rest of the model. I think a flat base, preferably a lighter color than black maybe. a concrete or stone colored base might look good. A rooftop base would also look nice. Something with a bit of color other than just black

Blakeh1's on the right track with the base.
I'd say go with something neutral like a grey/marble finish to the base

Selina is positively gorgeous

Ok so how did you get Michelle Pfeiffer to pose for those pictures. ;D just kidding...

Really fantastic work.

Me again! Since this Catwoman figure is going to be a Christmas present for a friend, I decided that I'd better finish it before Christmas :p

I needed to make a nice base for it, but balsa foam is way out of my budget right now, so I cobbled up a brickwork ledge from some basswood and foam:

Here are the basic parts, an oval basswood base and 1/4" basswood laminated and glued together to form a solid core:
JO146173.jpg

Then I scribed a brickwork pattern into some 1/8" thick Midwest Products "Cellfoam 88" (all this stuff is from Hobby Lobby) and sealed it with three coats of diluted white glue:
JO146176.jpg

I used the foam to skin the wooden form, and added more foam to the top to make a ledge. The ledge is sealed with diluted carpenter's glue (just a little tougher than white glue), and there are two brass tubes inserted into the wood to hold the figure:
JO156180.jpg

The oval base was stained and is now getting several coats of polyurethane gloss. I painted with ledge with Liquitex acrylics:
JO176185.jpg

JO176184.jpg

Once the base is finished, I'll screw the ledge and base together and be done!

Latest posts

Back