Casting Noob!

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Hey guys, I need to make a cast of one of the Fine molds 1.72 millennium falcon engins. Whats the easiest way to do this? Can you make a cast from blue tack and then say fill it with liquid resin? Where would I get the resin from? By the way I'm in the uk, just to make things more difficult! ::)

Not sure where to get hold of casting supplies in the UK. Me, I use Alumalite.
As far as the casting goes, using blue tack for a small mold may work

Thanks Q, I'm trying to get hold of a product called 'smooth-on' Scott used it on one of his x wing builds, but I think it may be difficult getting hold of it in the uk.

Just looked on the Smooth On website at their distributors............

United Kingdom
Bentley Chemicals Ltd.
Frederick Road
Hoo Farm Indust. Estate
Kidderminster, Worcestershire DY11 7RA
England
Tel: 011-44-1562-515121
Fax: 011-44-1562-515847
[email protected]
http://www.bentleychemicals.co.uk/

Bentley Chemicals ltd
Marshall's Yard
Trout Road
West Drayton
London
UB7 7RS
Tel - 01562 515 121
Fax - 01562 515 847

Ireland
Glassfibre & Resin Supplies, LTD.
ROSE HILL, BALLINACURRA
MIDLETON County
Cork, Ireland
353-214-631-711
353-214-633-349
[email protected]
http://www.grs.ie/

While they might not sell to you directly (but check their website to be sure), they should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

As far as blue tack for a mold.....any blue take that I have used is very flexible, so it likely won't hold the shape you are needing very well. Maybe for small parts, one part mold, push the part in to leave the impression, but the problem arises when you try to pull the master part back out....it is going to pull some of the blue tack mold with it, and distort the negative image you created with the part.

As a producer of gaming miniatures, I have used Smooth-On products and Alumalite. I prefer Smooth-On because I find the products to be of a higher quality and broader range of strengths, rubber types, etc.

Although I am in the business of casting, I am sure that most distributors will sell to modelers. Smooth-On produces kits for the hobbyist, so chat with them. I think a kit should run you between $25 and $40 USD.

I don't have the spec sheet in front of me, but I can get you details if you like. Just PM me.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back