C3PO & the other one 1/6 scale

Barsprojects

For my second attempt at showing work in progress on SMA Id like to do something bigger than my 1:1200 Titanic :) http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,9204.0.html and I need to learn how to paint with an airbrush AND some LED's in there would be nice AND maybe some diorama of some sort. So I got this cheap recast (1/6 scale I guess, not sure) of a kit from Thailand (you guys probably gonna be like: oh no! he got what?) which is crappy to moderately ok at best, to get me started on the famous pair of comedy droids from you know what films. There's a lot of bending, sanding and filling involved but I won't go overboard with adding details.
Now, I have seen an image somewhere sometime where c3po is sitting down with his leg all busted and r2 is holding c3po's separated foot in his claw (anyone know which film?), in the background I think is either the Millennium Falcon interior or that Lars place on Tattooine. This image is in my head, I have to find the reference, but maybe I won't cause it sounds like a hell of a lot of work. The background that is. Still, I'm thinking of how I can do the pair of these droids in a scene or position we haven't seen so often in scale. I mean, not just the pair of them standing, all intact, you know. Somewhere there has to be some drama, a story :)
In the meantime I'll keep myself busy preparing and trying out painting (I expect the golden c3po can't be easy to achieve). I did create some eyes already for c3po, looks allright I think, eventhough the eyes need to have 6 vertical bars instead of 3, in this scale 3 bars is probably my limit without getting very frustrated. Hope you enjoy. Barry

10042902254_8cc5bb0303_o.jpg
Some monster (that ratty one I bet) poked his eye out
10043044573_156531e929_o.jpg
Warm LED's in syrene tubes and brass wire, pupils too big though
10042946715_9eefa9cfef_o.jpg
Some sanding and a brass turned antenna thingy on the head

Good progress so far.
Have to agree on the eyes. Do what you can. Looks sharp

eh up buddy,i to love what you`re done so far can`t wait to see more!!
i`ll keep an eye out for ya new post`s!
cheers peza... ;)

looks good so far btw where did you get the antenna for the head at I like that addition it would look good on the one I am doing

Hey guys,

After seeing some part of ESB (Empisre Strikes Back) found the scene I was looking for, C3po get's blasted and ends up in pieces and is then carried around by Chewie, later on board the Falcon R2 is fixing up C3po. Allthough it's a nice scene for a diorama for the 2 droids, I'm not planning on doing the Falcon :) But I could do just the floor and the box C3po is sitting on. See this image from the web (which is different from the film I saw, in the film R2 isn't holding the foot.
r2-3po2.jpg

I totally did not see the 3 lights inside C3po's eyes before, so I changed the eyes and made the pupil smaller, remains to be seen if these 3 hilights will be visible behind the 3 bars (might get rid of the bars alltogether). This is a styrene tube (5 mm)with 2 layers of styrene sheet in front, one layer with 4 holes and one layer with one hole, the pupil is a tiny nail.
10074334606_f8d6069d25_o.jpg

Also did the 2 antenna's/probes? on the chest
10074258424_f8b5340d92_o.jpg

@Arohk, I did the antenna using brass rod and turning it with a vile in a drill, it's hard though and not very precise. You can try doing the same with styrene rod but that tends to melt quite fast.

Next up are the arms, more brass rods.

Thanks for watching

Barry

C3PO arms

I really enjoyed making the pistons for the arms. I started turning brass rods but it's hard on a drill, then I found some brass tube and rod to fit, way easier and faster to build. ON the arms themselves I fitted small pieces of styrene with a hole drilled. And the best thing, it moves, so I can decide about the position of the arms when I decide what the pose will be. Despite the lack of detail compared to the original droid came out really good I think.

Question about painting, when you get the orange peel effect, does that mean I used too much paint?

Barry

10085740053_b80359b24b_o.jpg
10085660725_b0a74f0942_o.jpg
10085681546_4df03c57b5_o.jpg

A: yeah looks better without. I think the real thing has like 6 bars.

Yeah, A looks better, kinda like a live action version of 3PO from Droids. ::)
I'm 99% done with my ancient mpc C3PO kit, copper plated and holding a small head. Yours is gonna be much more interesting.

i to think A is better mym8,but is there a way of still havin the bars in?maybe build the bars out of something clear with a ghosting of colour on them so they could be seen through when the lights are on and visible that there there when the lights are off!love this build!!cheers peza ;)

Thanks for the idea Peza, however the bars need to be tiny. I do have one last option, I found some real fine 0.2 mm clear plastic wire, I might be able to glue 4 or maybe 6 of them on and paint them golden, working on that right now but haven't found the right glue yet. I also did the knee pistons and the legs are primed and drying right now.

Barry

Barsprojects said:
Thanks for the idea Peza, however the bars need to be tiny. I do have one last option, I found some real fine 0.2 mm clear plastic wire, I might be able to glue 4 or maybe 6 of them on and paint them golden, working on that right now but haven't found the right glue yet. I also did the knee pistons and the legs are primed and drying right now.

Barry
eh up buddy.yeah i was thinkin of fibre optic cable from old orniments or i got mine from my mums old fibre optic christmas tree.just an idea dude!cheers peza ;D

Arohk, I did the antenna using brass rod and turning it with a vile in a drill, it's hard though and not very precise. You can try doing the same with styrene rod but that tends to melt quite fast.

cool thanks have lots of brass so I will give it a shot

Thin wire would work for the bars on the eyes, too. 24 or 26 gauge - something nice and thin. Also, now that the Christmas stuff is showing up in stores, ornament hooks are usually very thin wire, too.

This project is on hold guys, too much other stuff going on and let me remind myself and others again: never get a cheap resin cast of a cast ever again :) I'm thinking of just doing c3po in an environment on Bespin and leave R2 for what he is now, a pile of plastic crap.

Barry

Hey Barry

I bought this kit (vinyl) on ebay, it's very well detailed.....but the thing is.....I'm gonna light the eyes also

My plan is to cast the head in clear resin & sink in a couple of LED's, if it works out ok I could send you a cast

J

Has been a while. I gave up on R2 (darn the recasts), but C3PO is still alive, here's some painting I did (spraycan). Looks decent enough for me to keep an interest in it. Really like how the brass details came out, especially the pistons on the arms. There's also brass on teh head, chest and knees. Body parts are not glued together yet thats why they look a bit loose.
And it's a big model,a bout a foot tall. Thinking about creating the blue lighted room from Return of the Jedi in which C3PO get's blasted to bits as a sort of diorama. Next up perhaps the lighted eyes (if I can find them) and the details around the gut area, wires. We'll see.

Barry

12545140885_685ea64f99_o.jpg
12545289963_843e531706_o.jpg
12545291273_600fc63212_o.jpg
12545140105_562a7923ba_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back