Building display stands

Oh this works better so people can get in on the convo. From where we last left off I'm just gonna say you know the about the glues so I'm not gonna even mess with a physics dude, you know your stuff. LOL

But you mentioned something about gluing the rods to the model. You mentioned in your vids that you don't want to drill into the model or anything to mess with it so why don't you make it so that it's a "cradle" stand where you can just set your model on it.

Here's another idea. Put a magnet on the rod and in the model. You can cover it up with clever scale modeling skills. Heck, if you can be creative and find strong enough magnets, then you can put the magnets into different area's of your model to be able to move it to display it at different angles. :)

Wargaming techniques carrying over. People use magnets on figures in their arm sockets so they can switch out weapons that the figures carry in a battle. This can be done the same way if we can find some strong enough magnets. I'm not sure how heavy the model itself is... in fact, I wouldn't mind making a few for my planes... hmmmm....

Rare earth magnets should work. You can find them just about everywhere....very rare. Well medium rare.

Here is my idea for the stand so far:
Stand.jpg

I might try to make this out of acrylic rods. Dreamknight, that link you sent me gave me a good idea for a model that I stalled out on months ago, it will get revived soon.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=440&parentcatid=443

I wanted to bend the rod, that is how I found the link in the first post, and it occurred to me that it might inspire a few others. So I stared this thread.

I don't use their techniques for mounting models. I usually use the hole that the manufacturer supplied for their stand, but the Thunderchild has no such hole. Not a surprise it is a resin kit. But this lack of a pre-drilled hole has thrown me a bit.

A magnet is a good idea, but this kit is a bit heavy. One pound two oz (0.51 Kg) if I account for paint. (It is solid resin, not roto-cast, it will weigh more than any styrene kit of the same size.) I checked my stash of magnets, and I have two that would work, but they are large. As round as the deflector dish. It would be a large hole to cut, then fill, and then add back in the missing textures. I just don't want to do that much damage to this kit. I like the details that are there. (It isn't that I don't think my skills are not up to that kind of challenge, they are, try lighting a model and all the hacking you do to get those lights to work. This is suppose to be a fast build for fun!!!)

So I am thinking of building a cradle for this from acrylic rods. Or a thought just occurred, sheet plexi, and I could embed a few leds, to light the edges of the stand, with a badge from one of my videos......

Something like this:

http://hacknmod.com/hack/cool-led-name-sign/

F6X6GIKG68H8MB8.MEDIUM1.jpg

1 to 2 pounds? Yeh that's freaking too heavy. lol Gonna need really big mags. But the cradle idea would be easiest I agree. And doens't mess with your model too. :)

JMac: Thanks for the link! Those look pretty decent. and won't detract from the model at all.

Dreamknight: I still don't know about the three point stand. The engine nacelles are attached at a funny angle. So it might be hard to use a three point stand. I will think about it, but it will have to wait until the model is glued up. So I have more specifics. I won't get much more work done until Saturday, but by then I will be ready for paint, and the stand will move up on the priority list then.

We have a plastic fabrication lab at work, I was planing to make a clear stand along the same lines of the flight pose stands and then found out after the fact that they were availible...might buy one or I might make some thing after I get back to work.

I am going to my local mega home improvement store today to see if I can get some plastic sheet, and rods. The three point stand will work fine. (I got the model put together today, and can support it on three fingers very well and it is stable.) I still think I need to add in the led edge lighting. I will see what I can find about etching plastic on the web.

Thanks for the ideas all of you.

When I was a kid, my father came home one day with a desktop model of his aircraft, a Grumman, G-164 Ag-Cat (he was a pilot).
This model was on a black display stand and was attached by a little swivel head that screwed on to the stand.
I would spend hours just changing the attitude of the aircraft and flight "poses".

The thing is, I can't find that little "swivelhead" hardware anywhere.
But that would make for a great display stand, a classic.

I have run into another problem. I am using acrylic rods, first it appears that nothing sticks to them. I have tried a few different glue types with nothing that works. I do have the special solvent for acrylic rods, but I don't want to try it unless I have to.

Second, I planed on using felt pads between the acrylic and the model. Well the felt is too slippery for the model. It just slides off. Any suggestions? I have thought about cutting up a silicon heat pad from the kitchen. Or using a dab of silicon caulk. I want something that will not bleed color to the model.

Well here is the finished product:

20101011_34.jpg

I didn't glue the acrylic rods to the board. Instead I just wrapped them with tape and then twisted them into the base. I could have drilled out a few holes and then taped some threads into the rods. Finishing off with a few screws, but the tape holds quite well, so I am not going to go through all that trouble.

On the ends of the acrylic rods I drilled out a few holes and then inserted a pencil eraser into each hole. The rod in the back was shaped down with a dremel so that it matched the contours of the model. The model sits quite well on the stand and is very stable.

That looks cool Grendels. How about a picture with the model on it?

As promised, here is a photo of the finished product:

20101014_9.jpg

I am posting more in the Federation show room.

Latest posts

Back