British Scout car Daimler II

Tanker52

The Tamiya British Scout car Daimler II is my entry for the War Wheels group build. I started on this month ago but just now getting around to posting my progress. Work has been keeping me busy last couple months. This is mainly going to be OOTB build with some little scratch building. I did scratch build the suspension springs. I took some thin wire and coiled it around a screw to make the springs. I will also be adding a couple of figures as well.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Happy New Year SMA Modelers!!! The scout car is taking shape. I used some evergreen sheet to create mud flaps and used some left over photo etch for the bolt head strip for the top. Then I used some more evergreen stock and created seats for the folding roof. All I have left before I start painting is to glue the rear view mirror and I am thinking about making the hinges for the folding roof.

Quaralane...thanks for the comment. I added some more custom work...

Added a custom bracket for the hood and also added a hinge for the tool box. To create the top of the tools box, I scribed lines to represent this detail. I cleaned up seams and added primer this morning. This afternoon I painted desert yellow. The camera batteries died so I could not get pics. I will take pictures in the morning once batteries are charged and post my results. All I have left to do is decal and weather. Then I have the paint the figures.

Thanks fumblethumbs for the kind comment...here she is in some color...I sprayed Vallejo black primer then once dry applied Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow as the base coat. I applied light and built up in layers so the black will show through adding tones and shadows. After this dried, I sprayed with future to allow me to add decals then will add a flat coat to seal decals. Once this dries, I am going to add a pre-shade using XF-59 mixed with XF-57 Buff. Hopefully get this accomplished today. Then I am going to add chips and scratches along with weathering. Always a challenging process for me...Thanks for looking.

Oooooo...Looking very good indeed Tanker! You've already got some nice colour variation happening there. Tiny little thing eh?

Calling this build complete. The pictures do not do justice and make the model look like I have a gloss coat finish when it isn't. I need more practice painting figures but I feel I did a good job making them look like they had a tan from being out in the sun. The weathering overall I think turned out good but I feel I need more practice. I used a brown color pencil to represent paint chips and wear, MIG rust wash on the latches, exhaust and edges of tool boxes, graphite pencil to represent heavy traveled areas, and Doc O'Brien weathering powder desert yellow. The desert yellow did not show up well in the pics. The goal is completion not perfection...

its look nice, Tank :) you could try to use Humbrol Matt coat on the figs to make more less shiny

Great work and congrats on the finish. Looks sharp and I think the figures look pretty good man!

Latest posts

Back