Blue Angels trip/ Glad to be home

Quaralane

This weekend, I headed about 300 miles to the south of where I live to see the Blue Angels for the first time.
Everything was planned out just fine. Had tickets, reservations, time set to leave from work, everything.
But, as Styx put it back in 1980, "Nothing Ever Goes As Planned."

Set out as scheduled Friday afternoon.
First couple of hundred miles seemed to go okay. Then the car started acting up.
After some patience, and a LOT of prayers and good thoughts for the car, we nursed into something resembling civilization.
Of course, by the time we got in to town, all the car shops are closed.
Luckily for us, one of the clerks at the truck stop knew a guy who was willing to come out and take a look, for free.
We found out there were serious problems with the car. Those couldn't really be looked at, or confirmed, until Saturday morning.
So, we had to find a hotel for the night, and miss the first night of our other reservation.

Come Saturday, we find out the problems with the car. There is no way it's making the remainder of the trip without repairs.
So, while they get to work on the car, we try to get a rental.
None available.
We check with the airport where the airshow is going to be. They'll reserve one for us.
Now, we have to get the remaining 45 miles to the airport, somehow.
Good news, where we are, there's a taxi/shuttle service that will take us there without breaking the bank completely.

WE GET TO GO TO THE SHOW!

After getting through traffic at the show (45 minute drive turns into an hour and a half), we get the car, stow are bags, then go watch the show.

The Blue Angels were AWESOME, as was a demo of the F-22 Raptor in flight, as well as a V-22 Osprey.

As the show ends, and the weather is turning seriously bad, we get a call from the shop where we left the car.
It's fixed.
We make arrangements to pay for the repair by credit card so that we can pick up the car on our way back home.
After swapping cars at the shop, then dropping off the rental, we start the nice, hopefully uneventful trip home.
During several stretches of the drive home, it's frigging snowing.
But, we had no problems, and made it home safe, in our own car.

I should have pics to add to this in the next couple of days

ah wingy things ;D sounds like you had an evntfull weekend :)

Nothing makes your heart sink like when you feel your car isn't behaving properly, and that's coming from a guy that's not too shabby at working on his own rides! Glad you made it home safe and that your plans didn't have to be scrapped. What was wrong with the car?

I'm glad it all worked out and you got home safe.

The Blue Angels show is a spectacular show.

Where did you go Q? Vegas?

Be thankful you found somebody who could actually fix the car. And it seems like they did it right too. Double blessings! :D

Went to St. George, Utah, actually.
Thunder Over Utah.
Definitely a spectacular show.

And it was definitely a blessing all the way around.
Seems that the Cam Position Sensor had gone out, causing two cylinders to run lean.
This, in turn, led to the demise of the Catalytic Converter that's part of the exhaust manifold.
We got VERY lucky.

Sounds like a trip! I don't like it when things go wrong when traveling. Glad everything worked out good.

Quaralane said:
Went to St. George, Utah, actually.
Thunder Over Utah.
Definitely a spectacular show.

And it was definitely a blessing all the way around.
Seems that the Cam Position Sensor had gone out, causing two cylinders to run lean.
This, in turn, led to the demise of the Catalytic Converter that's part of the exhaust manifold.
We got VERY lucky.
Oh, my. That couldn't have been inexpensive to repair!

Saddest part of the problems was when they happened.
My son, who only has his Learner's Permit, was driving when things went south on us. Fortunately, I think we've gotten him to understand that it wasn't anything he did.

And Clumsy?
No, it wasn't inexpensive. All in all, the repairs and tow bill came to about $1400.
(Thank God for credit cards)

Latest posts

Back