Best ways to do water on a vignette\dio?

Bizarre

I have some ideas for a scene but I would like to hear opinions on different products before I invest in them.
All comments are welcome.

Delixe materials? Woodland scenics? Andrea miniatures? Vallejo? Household products?

Depending upon your needs or requirements for the diorama or vignette. Example if the water is to be treated as an accessory or a secondary aspect and does not directly interact with the principal subject you could try a very old model railroading trick. Take a latex mold from a rock either buy one or make your own they are not hard. Then use the mold to cast the surface of the water in plaster and color with thinned washes of oil paints. You can actually gain some amazing depth affects.

Having a little more input as to how the water feature is intended to interact or what roll it is to play would help to advise you better

Hey Bizarre , this is a great question as there are so many products and techniques about ,.
I think Rraven is correct that it will depend on the "scene" to determine the best route ---

BUT .. @ Rraven - what ? :p lol I don't understand exactly what you're talking about with the whole " rock - thing " ;D

Hey urumomo, don't knock it till you try it. Here's how I happened upon it. I needed some rushing water for a small diorama I was making oh 30 some odd years ago. And as grandiose plans go I was going to make it as real as possible all 3D like and all. In other words attempting something wayyy beyond my skill set at the time. So I built the trestle and proceeded with the stream bed. I used a latex rock mold I had created and cast some plaster into it. While the plaster was still soft I pressed it in place as the river bed, once the plaster had set I pealed off the mold to discover the casting looked a heck of allot like rushing water. So I grabbed my oils (my paint of choice) for rocks and after some final dabs of titanium white for the frothy white caps I had an amazing fast water effect.
I totally understand your scepticsicsm but try it you may like the results depending how it's used.

Rraven ,
;) I wasn't incredulous -- I just didn't understand the process you were describing .... thought it was something along those lines .
Do you have some photos of the results from that project or another ?

Latest posts

Back