best scale

thestickyone

hello every one ;D i'm thinking of starting my own ship collection u no aircraft carriers, battleships, destroyers, subs etc etc the only thing that's buggin ??? me is i want them all the same scale so you can compare the ships to each other when there built. what scale offers me the best assortment of ships .displaying them isn't an issue and i would like them to all b a decent size.

thanks for your help

john

1/400 for sure. small enough to be affordable so you can get a good collection and build a nice a collection

you can find everything from a u-boat to the Titantic in this scale. and they are GGGREEEAt for playing with in the bath tub.

For ships, 1/700 will offer the best selection, 1/350 offers better detail because they are bigger. 1/350 can be quite hard to display however because of the size, especially the bigger battleships and aircraft carriers.

Think this way...

Boats in 1/700-1/600 are like planes in 1/72. Theres a kit of everything, reasonably priced but they tend to be around 6-12". A carrier will run you $50-ish.
Boats in 1/500-1/350 are like planes in 1/48. There's a kit of all the major players but they get expensive the bigger you go, and are around 12-30". A carrier will run you $200-ish.
Boats in 1/200-1/144 are like planes in 1/32. You're only gonna see a very select few, and they are ginormous models of small real life ships around 30"+. No carriers.
Then you have the 1-72-1/35 boats which would be similar to 1/24 and 1/18 aircraft. You're only gonna see a very few subjects of small real life boats, but they will be ridonculous in size, like you need an entire shelf for each kit No carriers...

Latest posts

Back