Badger Crescendo 175T and Cyclone II 180-11 - Pulsing

Bagpiper

Hi Team
I did a search so don't think this has been answered here. I have a Badger Crescendo 175T airbrush and a Badger Cyclone II 180-11 Compressor. Both of these are about 5 years old - maybe 4. Used about 4 times total. Both are like new. Anyhoo I am getting back into plastic modelling so dragged them out to see if they still worked. Well! Yes they do but I find that the paint stream (only testing) seems to pulse every few seconds. It seems very controlled and timed but I have no idea if it is a problem or just the way that this kind of compressor works.

Hope you lads and lassies can throw some light on this for me please.

Kindest regards
Jim

Does your compressor have a regulator on it? If not, that is your problem. Because the compressor is a single piston, you will get that pulsation as the compressor only pushes air on the upstroke. With a regulator on the compressor, it, well....regulates, and eliminates the pulsation, as well you can dial up or down the pressure to suit your painting needs.

Thanks for the reply. No it does not have a regulator.

I was checking them out and seems like a cost effective purchase if it will get rid of the pulsing. Shame they didn't provide one with the compressor. Oh well - no worries.

Appreciate your help on this one. I was beginning to think it was a lost cause.

Cheers
Jim

If memory serves, the 180-11 has the auto shut-off feature which I think you might be referring too as "pulse every few seconds". Its meant to cut the motor when you pause working, and turn it back on as soon as you start using air again. The way it works though results in a lot of stop-and-start as you work. This is normal.

The way it works is when the pressure in the cylinder head reaches a certain psi, the motor shuts off, and when it drops below a certain level, it starts again. BUT because there is no tank to buffer the air supply, this does result in the motor shutting off even if you pause spraying for just a couple seconds. If however it stops and starts while you hold down the trigger continually, the pressure switch may need to be adjusted.

Hi Sunsanvil and thanks.
It is the latter. The paint spray stops and strarts while holding down the trigger continually. I tried looking for a handbook for the compressor on line but could not find one. I have no idea where the pressure switch would be. Something else for me to check out though. Cheers.

Jim

Well, I thought I was going to do a video and show you what was happening. So I loaded up my airbrush, got the camera ready and..... the problem has gone. I was expecting to get a nice video of the paint pulsing in a regular fashion out the airbrush but it did not happen. What I got was a smooth airstream together with a smooth stream of paint.

I have a feeling that I caused the problem myself. I decided this time to use a slightly thicker red acrylic paint mix for the camera and it worked a treat. I went back to the thinner mix that was causing the pulsing and it too worked.

I think that my lack of familiarity with the airbrush/compressor added to the problem. Thanks all for your very kind support on this non-problem. Perhaps it has sat so long on the bench that there was a blockage. Anyhoo sorry for the wild goose chase team.

I shall be getting a water trap/regulator first chance I get as well.

Cheers
Jim

Bagpiper said:
and..... the problem has gone.

Isn't that always the way. :) Might have been a loose head (aka nozzle hold down ring). Glad its working for you anyway.

Yes adding a regulator/moisture trap will definitely extend the usefulness of your setup. I'd recommend the Badger one not because you have to, but because unlike hardware store ones its optimized for lower pressures. The gauge runs 0-60psi (so its easier to dial in the lower pressures). You should be able to find it for <$50.

Glad your prob. has gone....

a long Storage could have done some of that as well !!! and the compressor needed to cycle thru again.... The Cyclone II is a great little compressor.... and at times.... that Auto Start and Shut off can be a pain... Especially if you have a "small leak" in your system....

if you can't find a regulator with Moisture trap... don't sweat it !!! a small Regulator will do just fine !!!

but depending where you are located....??? a moisture trap might save you some headaches....
No one whats a paint job ruined because the AB is spitting water halfway thru a paint session !!!

Iwata makes a great "in line" one ! I have converted some of my guns to that.... with great success ! and the "added grip" makes Holding the gun a lot easier for me !!!

http://scottymason.com/Store/images/PG%20Filter%20and%20hose.jpg

of course.... an Adapter might be required for your Crescendo. a great AB I might add !!!
I have the Medium and Fine tip Combo and it is still a great tool in my collection.

if not the Iwata .... a Badger Hose w/Clear moisture trap is also a great investment...

http://di1-3.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/41/df/a1/90263729-450x450-0-0_Badger+Basket+10+Braided+Hose+w+In+Line+Trap.jpg

Best of luck with your set up and Welcome back to the Hobby !!!!

Thanks for the additional tips guys. I ordered the Badger regulator/filter last night so I should be set. Also ordered 2 extra sets of fine needles, tips and the regulator caps for my airbrush. That way the wife only see's one package coming through the mail. ;D I probably should have loaded up on some paint as well. <lol>

A very big thank you to all of you. The problem seemed so obscure that it made me think - and that helped more than anything. It also showed me that you guys are happy to help with the silly stuff too.

Next step for me is building my spray booth based upon Grendels videos - great information.

Thanks again team.

Cheers
Jim

I wanted to add that I got my regulator today, Model 50-054. Man what a difference. It is the badger one with the water trap. Thanks again for the tip on getting one of these. This has made the compressor work the way I expected it to without blowing the model out the window with the pressure. ;D

Thanks for helping a beginner get going with the gear I have had for years and only now getting ready to enjoy Plastic Modelling.

Kindest regards
Jim

Latest posts

Back