Bad News ,Good News

RocketSilo

First the bad news , my computer is down (I'm on my netbook).
Looks like it's either the cpu or motherboard,,I am going to retrieve all the data I can.
I need the computer up soon in order to draw decals.
I feel good about being able to save the files,, waiting on a ext hard drive for now ...uggghh
Bad Timing as I'm out of work for now..may have to start delivering pizza ..lol

the good news I received an email today from Stacy David and Revell..
I placed in the Revell National Model Car Championships
box stock best use of color category ! on my 55 Chevy !
....Prizes on the way.

Did anyone else here enter the contest? The said they had a ton of entry's in the email.

WOW that is great! Congratulations. Do you have any pics!

Outta work and computer down...not so great.

Sorry for the bad news but WOW!!!! The good news is awesome!!! Congrats!!! I'm not surprised at all. The 55 is a beauty.

thanks Scott, yes I wanted to upload the pics but........ they are on my computer.
the hard drives are ok best I can tell,,It just black screen of death ..won't even boot.
and I never put them up on my photobucket.

Thanks CT , I'm almost shocked ... it was my first car model in at least 16 years.
I Qualified for the novice category ,, that helped me from competing with the pros,I wouldn't have had a chance otherwise . Box Stock has it's merits too

Thanks Quaralane, I ordered the Hard drive so looks like a week or so to get back up ,but I'll get er done somehow.

not to give a sob story but it's been tough times lately , with loss of work , and having to purchase a new heat and air unit and lawn mower in the same week before the layoff,, The heat and air guy has postponed installing the unit 3 times now and it's been incredibly hot weather.it's been on the fritz 2 weeks now !.. a little good news is always welcome..lol ..keeping my chin up I can get everything worked out.

I think the heat may have had something to do with the computer going out

--nods--
Been where you are. Still am, partly.
Only working part time right now because we're not busy enough to need a shipper 5 days a week.
But, you're right. Things WILL work out in time.

Sorry about the bad news I know what its like when the PC is fried.

Great news you won Congrats on the WIN!

XXXNITRO

thanks nitro ,can't wait to see what I won,, they asked for my shirt size ,so I know that much..heheh

Hi Rocket, what your desktop brand? does it have a cpu light? you say it won't even boot... do you have an extra power supply?

Congrats on your Win!! on the 55

ROCKET,

Great News on th Car Model ! Sorry to hear about th AC , Computer & Work ... It always comes in 3's & It will get Better Bro ! Keep th Faith ! You've got no where to go but Up !!!

\m/_\m/ - gives th Twin Metal Salute ... for luck !!

Great to hear about the model!!

Sorry to hear about everything else. If you need help with the computer, let me know, I use to do computer repair years ago.

panzerace thanks bro.

thanks Grendels and Eastrock for the comp advice

the front panel buttons don't seem to function or light up but the main power switch in the back(power supply) turns on the fans and the drives seem to power up.. it has me perplexed. I have an old power supply I can dig up and swap out.
I'm not getting any beep codes at all.The moniter is working, I also pulled the video card and plugged into the onboard video with no change
I swapped around ram sticks , no change.
I also reseated all the cables and ram
going to swap out the power supply ...it's underpowered but without the vid card installed should work out..good test idea !.. I'll report back later...thanks

Even if the power supply is underpowered, it should have enough juice to get it to boot.....you would at least know if it was the PS, a much cheaper fix than a new CPU or MB, or both!!

I have gone through a few PS in my day, and have had it sound like it starts up, but nothing happens, no boot, nothing. Swap out the PS and everything is fine.

Hopefully that is the problem!!

Hi Rocketsilo, have tried booting up without the Memory? there should be a beeping... if not you need to re-seat or buy a new battery for the board, if that dosen't work possible your board is busted, or if the board beeps with a long one... that means your memory been busted, short beeps means that the battery need to change.

" but the main power switch in the back(power supply) turns on the fans and the drives seem to power up.."

you have one of two things wrong, the power supply or the Motherboard. If the CPU was dead, you would still get beep codes out of the motherboard. (I have seen one case where that didn't happen....) But I don't think it will post without the CPU.

I have also seen something like this happen when the memory went out, one of the cards wasn't seated right, etc. I have one computer who won't boot unless the drives are plugged in just right. One drive at one location, the other drive on a chain with the CD rom. Without that drive on the CD chain it won't boot.

Ok, now second thought, Since the fans are running, might not be the PS, also, they won't start up without the motherboard. Everything in a new computer is tied to the motherboard, but in the older models this is not so, you can start the fans with a bad motherboard.

At the moment my bet is the CPU is bad. Especially if you have reseated the cards and RAM. Have you tried pulling part of the ram and starting it up? That will tell you if it is the ram.

Here is what I usually do in these cases:

Remove all the extra cards. Most modern computers only have a video card, and it sounds like you tried this.

Remove all the external drives from the motherboard and try to post.

If that doesn't work then you know it isn't the drives.

Remove the memory and try to post.

If it still isn't working, then it is the PS, CPU or the MB.

You know the PS is under powered, I would try that next. But, since it got hot, you might have fried a chip. How hot did it get? Most CPU's can handle about 200F, and if you overheat them once, that doesn't necessarily kill them. Same thing with the chips on the MB. But a power supply can overheat and go out with only one instance.

I hope some of this helps!

ok guys here's the status ...I swapped out the PS ..no change
still the same thing, the front panel buttons don't function or light up but the PS switch starts the fans,drives ect.
I swapped ram and tried every position again,, than removed all ram,, no difference. no beeps.
I unplugged everything except the 2 cables that go to the motherboard,, the big one and the 4 prong,,, nothing different, I have yet to hear any beep codes since it went down.
I am going to take the chip to a local comp shop and have them try it out..the only thing I can see left is either the chip or MB ?... unless there is a troubleshooting route I can still try ?

I don't think it's the cmos battery ,,it should beep a code for that but I will pick a new one up anyway since I've gone this far. thanks for all the tips so far If anything I have learned a bit .

I can't try the chip in the wife's ancient computer , mine is an AMD 64 quad core, not even close ...lol

--nods sadly--
Sounds like you've done the testing to prove it.....
Motherboard's your most likely culprit. Classic no POST

Latest posts

Back