Back to Modeling after a few years. I have a few questions for you.

DarylD

Hi All,

My name is Daryl and I recently jumped back in to modeling. I built cars and trucks as a kid and now I decided to get back in to the hobby.
I have a spare room that I use as my hobby room. It is a typical bedroom size, so I do not have a great deal of space.
I am wondering if there is such a thing as a small table like the size of card table that is on the market that has holes to insert pegs and clamps?
I am having hard time trying find something to serve this purpose. I was building a Semi Truck and I was working on the frame that has several pieces as usual. I want to clamp it in place and to make sure it would stay straight and in alignment. I hope I described this enough to get some ideas from you and where you bought or if you made something. If you made one, do you have pictures or instructions?

Thank you in advance for you ideas and suggestions.
Daryl

You don't need an entire table , similar to a woodworking bench , to accomplish what you need .
You can just make a jig from a piece of lumber that sits atop your work surface .
A piece of 1x8 , 1x10 , strip of plywood etc , that you can drill holes in and/or attach blocks / rails to for clamping etc .

You can clamp that to your worktop if needed or set it atop a non-skid material like that used under floor rugs or whatever you have that will work the same .

Thank You so much for your reply and idea. I was hoping there was something on the market.
You are correct, I do not need an entire table. I thought maybe Tamiya or similar company made a small tray or table that has clamps that are adjustable depending on the sizes of pieces that we work on.
I could make one, but I know I would not make it perfectly and then I would have to find clamps to meet my needs.
Thank you again for the quick reply and suggestion.

Harbor Freight is the best place to buy clamps .
Or Amazon will often have good prices on them .
A lot of times you can just screw down a scrap of wood to the base you make the jig from to act as a clamp / wedge .

I often make jigs when scratch building but never for OOB kits ... that I can think of anyway .
Mostly task specific jigs , so I just glue the elements in place .
some in these threads : https://www.scalemodeladdict.com/threads/himmelsfalke-ma-k-falke-xl.13485/
https://www.scalemodeladdict.com/threads/this-other-thing-im-building.13569/

Welcome to the Herd, Daryl! I look forward to seeing your builds!

As far as tables or just plain ol' work surfaces go, it's as Momo says. There are things you can buy, but there is a lot of room to improvise, too. I do casting with white metal, and I attached my casting pot to a piece of plywood about 1'x2', which is very portable. Same goes for a jig, like Momo said. There are commercial jigs sold for building model airplanes, too, for aligning wings, for example. And some guys improvise them-blocks of styrofoam, Legos, things like that.

The great thing about our hobby is the opportunity to use your imagination, too.

Again, welcome to the Herd!

Best regards,
Brad

Latest posts

Back