ASU-85

Balki

Got my hands on a Trumpeter model of ASU-85.
IMG-20110817-00612.jpg

Must say that so far it has been a very nice and relaxing build. I added wires for the lights and what seems to be some sort of storage tank on the right side of the vehicle. The only disappointing part was the rear vent. It is part photo etch and part plastic. I was VERY proud of myself for soldering the PE parts with out burning myself or destroying the pieces, but after I glued the rear screen all my hard work became invisible. :(

Anyway... here's where I am with it as of now:
IMG-20110817-00604.jpg

IMG-20110817-00605.jpg

IMG-20110817-00606.jpg

IMG-20110817-00607.jpg

IMG-20110817-00611.jpg

Next are the fuel tanks on the rear.

Balki

Nice kit Balki and a great job so far! Good job on that grill too!!! ;)

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words. Today the work continued with the rear and top fuel tanks.
IMG-20110818-00002-1.jpg

I really must give credit to Trumpeter on this one. They included a few extra parts in this kit to make a slightly different version. The instruction calls for two tanks on the rear and two separate tanks on the top. I found some reference pictures where the ASU had a large single tank on the top and I was worried where was I going to find a tank like that when I noticed all the extra parts in in the box that instruction sheet doesn't even mention. And, wait for it, wait for it, they even include photo etched straps for the large tank. ;D

IMG-20110818-00003.jpg
So, as you can see, the tanks are ready. Next step for me will be to finish the straps and add some PE brackets to the sides.

The extra parts are probably for the other ASU85 they have coming down the pipe...probably molded on a sprue with other common parts.

Looks good!!

Elm City Hobbies said:
The extra parts are probably for the other ASU85 they have coming down the pipe...probably molded on a sprue with other common parts.

You might be right, but my quick and not very deep research tells me that there were no other variants of the ASU-85. They were produced in the USSR and Poland and they were almost identical with the exception of these reflective orange/black markers on front and back. I might be wrong... We will see....

Sorry to report on my progress, or to be more accurate - the lack of progress. I was so busy in the last few days that I didn't even have time to cut out the PE straps for the top fuel tank. :( That's OK. Even though my wife put me through hell of a "honey do" list this weekend, I live to fight/model another day. ;D
Balki

The one that you have is the ASU-85 Early as it would have been seen in 1961ish, they are also releasing one of the more modernized one, the ASU-85 Late from 1970 onward (called the ASU-85M). Biggest difference between the 2 is the Dshk machine gun added to it, but I suspect that some of the parts in the early version and aren't in the instructions are actually for the late version of it. Either way, I am sure there are photos of the early vehicle with the added fuel tanks.

Where do you get that photo etched brass grille? That stuff adds an amazing bit of character to the model. Cool looking tank...self propelled gun, Lock N Load with R. Lee Ermey told me what that meant and the difference from a tank, but I've forgotten. Is it an artillery piece?

The photoetch you see on the kit comes with the kit.

ASU-85 (Russian: Авиадесантная самоходная установка, АСУ-85, Aviadesantnaya Samokhodnaya Ustanovka, 'airborne self-propelled mount')

Or self-propelled gun. To me, I would lump it in as a Tank Destroyer, as SPGs to me are more like a M109 Paladin, Bishop, etc, etc....mobile artillery, but they both get lumped in the SPG category usually.

Hey, Balki, the work that you´re putting in that ASU is really nice, man.

I think that these ASUs give plenty chances for "what if´s / maybe´s" painting schemes, or "fictional deployment scenarios" durin Cold War Era... your small boy brings me directly back to a boardgame (wargame) that was named "Flashpoint: Golan" (if I don´t remember bad ... ) where there was a chance to deploy in Syria an USSR Airborne Div.

Cheers, Balki
RG

Hey guys!
I’m sorry I haven’t been responding lately. A lot happened in the last week and I have a lot of stuff to do to clean up the mess. I have purchased some ammo from Ammunitiontogo.com, you know, the deer season is just around the corner. Anyway, to make a long story short, I got my ammo but someone from that company stole my credit card information and went on a shopping spree. I know it was them because I have a “special” credit card that I use only to make online ammo purchase and Ammunitiontogo.com was the only place I have used it in about a year. By the time I got a call from my credit card company my card was maxed out. Someone is enjoying new TV, furniture, and God knows what else. All the purchases were made around Houston Texas and ATG (ammunition to go) is located in Brenham Texas (about 70 miles away). But that’s not the worst part. I informed the ATG company about their security problem and the response I got really threw me against the wall. I was called every nasty name in the book. I can’t quote even one sentence here because I would be violating some FCC and SMA decency rules. I feel violated in more ways than one. Dealing with my credit card and getting everything back is one thing, but the treatment I got from ATG really, really got to me.
So sorry guys but there will be no more updates till all this mess is behind me.
Balki

Sorry to hear that Balki!!! That Sucks! From what you said and the response that you got...mmm, I would venture to say that the individual you spoke with might have actually done the deed!!! Hang in there buddy and good luck!!!

Latest posts

Back