Armored Core - SUNSHINE-L

core
/kôr/

noun

The tough , central part of various fruits , containing the seeds.
"quarter the pears, remove the cores then slice again into wedges"

Wikipedia : " operating large robot combat units known as Armored Cores at the behest of corporate and private clients. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_Core
That really doesn't answer my question, though, whether someone who isn't a native English speaker created the story and mistook "core" for "corps". I suspect that's the case.

That really doesn't answer my question, though, whether someone who isn't a native English speaker created the story and mistook "core" for "corps". I suspect that's the case.
Core refers to the cockpit. Armored Core means the cockpit is armored with the robot body covering it.

You're doing a stellar job fixing those issues. I'm used to building mecha kits and I've never seen issues like that from any of them. Is it potentially a bootleg unknown to your friend?

Heh :D
That ain't a bootleg . If it is , it's one super high-dollar copy .The bootlegger spent more reproducing it than Kotobukiya did manufacturing the thing .
Stuff happens .
It looked to me like that piece broke off right out of the injection mold . There are no stress marks that you'd expect to see if you were to snap it off the cold styrene .

I don't see any other deficiencies in the sprues .

Arms and legs are assembled .
Primed with alkyd so I can rub off the acrylic color-coat with isopropyl for weathering /chipping effects :

MrkZCWf.jpg
F7E0i0d.jpg

The head is the next step .
I'm curious why they molded the pivot ( G11 , G12 ) in two pieces .
You can see they had no problem molding those other , essentially identical parts , in one piece .( 8, 9 and 10 ):

NKibDca.jpg

This is the first Kotobukiya kit I've built .
Bandai they are not .
These guns required a lot of work to clean up . The flanking elements on the barrel fit very poorly .

KD9HH00.jpg

Everything is assembled and mostly primer'd .
Some spots still to do - and some spots need another coat .
Have to wait a couple of days before the recoat of primer , then it will be at least a week of cure before color-coats .
Some people don't like waiting for alkyds to cure properly but I'm obviously never in a hurry .
Still undecided on the final paint scheme anyways.

INM5q2W.jpg

Year
This is the first Kotobukiya kit I've built .
Bandai they are not .
These guns required a lot of work to clean up . The flanking elements on the barrel fit very poorly .

View attachment 87912

Everything is assembled and mostly primer'd .
Some spots still to do - and some spots need another coat .
Have to wait a couple of days before the recoat of primer , then it will be at least a week of cure before color-coats .
Some people don't like waiting for alkyds to cure properly but I'm obviously never in a hurry .
Still undecided on the final paint scheme anyways.

INM5q2W.jpg
Years ago I had a Kotobukiya Gao Gai Gar kit. The final kit was nice as heck but the WORK I had to put in was nuts. Not just bad fit in places but overall bad engineering planning, like putting part seams in the WORST and dumbest places that needed what seems now like years of puttywork. I hadn't wanted to paint it, but the seams looked so awful I had to seam it and paint it. And for a posable mech while big, almost as big as the Bandai Soul Of Chogokin toy, it was fragile, which is what happened... it broke. The hip gave way after just a couple months. It was definitely not engineered to be repeatedly posable like Gundams or SuperMiniPla.

Yeah , I glued shut the doors for the missile launchers since they were pretty janky .
Only held on by the friction fit of the little tab , and they wouldn't stay fully shut when closed -- same with the doors covering the thrusters at the back of the body . Jank .

I had to remove material from the connecting side of those thingies that flank the barrel to get them to snug up and still needed to putty and sand .
Standard fare for model building but I was surprised by the horrible fit . Built as molded , the guns would look awful .

I'm going with a paint scheme to match that drab , apocalyptic aesthetic seen in those videos .
Greys and sepias .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back