Are compressed air cans at all worth using with an airbrush?

Thereal9thdoctor

So got a question... was planning in a couple months or so to get a priper paint booth and an airbrush. The rules at my apartment complex may make a compressor a no go. I need to confer with the management about it. I may be able to use it during the day, but I know night use is no go.

Anyhow, I won't be able to invest in a compressor for some time anyhow, so the question is whether or not using those compressed air cans for airbrushes is worth it. I used to use them with my 20 buck crap airbrush when I was a kid, but back then I didn't really care about doing a good paint job. I've read both positive and negative things about the topic, but no truly compelling info one way or the other.

So please let me know any advice you all have on this, as if compressed air cans won't be of any real use I'll just save up and buy a small compressor and wait to get an airbrush till then.

I used air can when I started, I remember it did not last long so Its not economic (expensive to be poor). Now I use a cheap compressor, a bit noicy but the sound can be reduced by building something to put it in.

Why not just get a cheap no name airbrushcimpressor, they make so little noice that you can easily use them day and night.

Why not just get a cheap no name airbrushcimpressor, they make so little noice that you can easily use them day and night.
I'd have to check on that. I won't airbrush after 10 pm. The rules here are no loud noise from 10 pm to 7 am. Its not a hard rule, but still, just moved in in Feb. And love it here, so don't wanna do anything that could cause me problems.

Tried that in the beginning, wasn't fun, bought a compressor, much better.

You can always get an air tank that you can fill up at the gas station or where ever you can fill your car tires or during the time when you are allowed to make noise in your complex

It is the tank without the motor so it will be quiet

You can always get an air tank that you can fill up at the gas station or where ever you can fill your car tires or during the time when you are allowed to make noise in your complex

That is what I was looking at. I will make a decision down the road. Not ready to get an airbrush yet.

They don't make anymore noice than your fridge... Try watching som YouTube videos...

Do your neighbors all stop living at 10 pm? Do you hear their TV's, Stereos, or children playing while you are in your apartment? Do you hear your next door neighbors activities during the day or night? If not then they won't hear a small quiet compressor and they make plenty of them. Give a listen on youtube like BLT said.

Do your neighbors all stop living at 10 pm? Do you hear their TV's, Stereos, or children playing while you are in your apartment? Do you hear your next door neighbors activities during the day or night? If not then they won't hear a small quiet compressor and they make plenty of them. Give a listen on youtube like BLT said.
If I get a compressor I will only use it during the day. I am NOT gonna do anything that could het me in trouble here. I moved in here in Feb from a VERY crappy place I spent the last 19 years having to suffer through. I love this place, and fully intend to spend the rest of my life here. They say no loud noise after 10pm, then no loud noise after 10pm.

If I get a compressor I will only use it during the day. I am NOT gonna do anything that could het me in trouble here. I moved in here in Feb from a VERY crappy place I spent the last 19 years having to suffer through. I love this place, and fully intend to spend the rest of my life here. They say no loud noise after 10pm, then no loud noise after 10pm.
I guess you didn't notice I said small quiet compressor, not loud noisy compressor. But that's okay I was just trying to help and you took offense so I will not try again on this subject. Peace out.

I guess you didn't notice I said small quiet compressor, not loud noisy compressor. But that's okay I was just trying to help and you took offense so I will not try again on this subject. Peace out.
Not at all offended my man. Just simply not taking any chances. My complex has mostly old people and families. I have on my floor 3 old people and 2, soon to be 3 families. Even with a quiet compressor there is a chance someone could hear it and cause me problems. So its not gonna happen. Period.

As said, no hard feelings at all.

Like Blakeh1 said, a gas tank is a good way on the quiet side. If it is just compressed air you will need a regulator for the pressure and a moisture wick so that you do not get too much humidity in the airbrush paint. You can also use a nitrogen tank, it is dry and non-toxic (we breath nearly 75% of it in the air along with oxygen), it does not react with paints and is quite dry, but you would still need a regulator for controlling the pressure.

You haven't done enough research...I have a compressor, yes it not cheap, but but if you are gonna get into this hobby for the long haul, get a GOOD one. It is so quiet, you CANNOT hear it when it runs, only a short pfft, when it reaches full. You actually have to get down on yer knees, put your ear next to the pump to hear anything...!! Hell, a boiling kettle makes more noise than my compressor...!! I put a sound meter next to the pump and it registered less than 25dB...a normal conversation between two people can be as high as 65dB...!

Just sayin...unclepine

I use a large co2 tank with a beer/soda regulator. This size tank should last forever.

Last edited:
I can sympathize with your particular situation, and you're probably right about thinking of cans of compressed air, or, getting a gas bottle that you can refill. Using air is probably safest and most economical for you, right now.

Get an air-tank - 5-11 gallons (under $100 at Harbor Freight).

Take it to the gas-station and fill it from their air-hoses...you'll need a fitting to accept their hose. Those things will fill 70psi bicycle tires...may take a bit, but you'll have 'canned' air for a lot cheaper than those disposable ones.

Latest posts

Back