Anyone here use Mr. Color paints?

B

Black Sheep 1

I'm about to order some Gunze Mr. Color paints for my 1/32 F-117A build.
I've never used this paint before and would like some advice, comments, warnings, what ever info I can get on them.
Do they work well in an airbrush?
Do I still need to prime before painting?
How long to dry?

Thanks

If you mean the Mr. Color lacquer paints;
-Only thin using Tamiya lacquer thinner or Mr. Color lacquer thinner. Do not thin with hardware store lacquer thinner. (You can use hardware store lacquer thinner to clean up.) However, I highly recommend to buy Mr. Color self-leveling thinner. Once you use it you'll never look back.
-Yes, but I don't know the thinning ratios. However, they are a lacquer so you really should wear a respirator if you plan on spraying them.
-You don't need to prime before painting them.
-They dry really quickly and once they are dry that's it. They are a lacquer and do not cure. They only dry.

PharmPhluegel said:
they are a lacquer so you really should wear a respirator if you plan on spraying them.

OH yeah!
I'm already prepared for that.
IMG_0914.jpg

Thanks for the info.
Any leads as to where to get them from here in the US?
It seems everywhere I go they are out of the Thinners or out of most colors.

Black Sheep 1 said:
Thanks for the info.

Another thing about Mr. Color lacquers, they have the shortest shelf life of any hobby paint so don't be surprised if you have a bottle go bad in a couple of years.

Sprue Brothers used to carry them, but they don't seem to be restocking any. I imagine in the US they are having the same issues as with the Gunze Aqueous several years back.

As far as non-US sources, Lucky Model and EricYY carry Mr. Color paints. However, only order something from Lucky Model if it says "in stock." "Available" means they can get it, but usually don't have it in stock and you may have to wait a really long time for it. EricYY keeps the stock on the site updated pretty well, but he does have a minimum order and a minimum shipping rate which is expensive.

PharmPhluegel said:
Black Sheep 1 said:
Thanks for the info.

Another thing about Mr. Color lacquers, they have the shortest shelf life of any hobby paint so don't be surprised if you have a bottle go bad in a couple of years.

Sprue Brothers used to carry them, but they don't seem to be restocking any. I imagine in the US they are having the same issues as with the Gunze Aqueous several years back.

As far as non-US sources, Lucky Model and EricYY carry Mr. Color paints. However, only order something from Lucky Model if it says "in stock." "Available" means they can get it, but usually don't have it in stock and you may have to wait a really long time for it. EricYY keeps the stock on the site updated pretty well, but he does have a minimum order and a minimum shipping rate which is expensive.

Yeah, I've ordered from Eric before.
He makes me a little nervous with his "packing" methods (he uses recycled boxes and when I get them they are barely holding together).

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back