Anyone grab the new iPad this weekend ?

TBadger

Demolitions Expert
My laptop conveniently bit the dust after 5 years of loyal service, I was in the market for a laptop but I came across the new iPad when the wife and I were at Best Buy. I've never been a big tablet fan, but because it was replacing a living room entertainment pc that we really only used for web browsing and video streaming every now and again, it seemed like a viable option now. I caved to the Apple overlords and bought a 32 Gb White wifi edition and I couldn't be happier. I've typed this while message out within inured and it's very easy to get used to. The site shows up perfectly and web browsing is a breeze, video looks great, new apps like sketchpad and Evernote plus so,e games make it a must buy if it is within the budget.

In summation, if you need a very portable computer solution for around the house , and perhaps an entertainment / note taking/ model sketching unit. I highly recommend the new iPads. and I forgot to mention that the video capture and editing is TOP NOTCH on ease and quality. Full 1080p!

P.S. - I swear I'm not a fanboy by any means :)

I have the ipad2 didn't even know there was a third in the works,

An I use a lot is air video it's a remote server you have on you pc and you can watch the movies on your iPad orifice you have apple tv you can push the movie to the tv.

I'm no fan boy either but apple tv is the best thing I've bought.

Oh and I've typed all this from my iPad

spud said:

What is the Apple TV box capable of besides iTunes? I have a Western Digital WDTV Live Plus that has a bunch of services in it. The only reason I'm considering the Apple TV is because I've been working out the math and it's actually cheaper for me to buy TV shows per season thru iTunes than to keep paying for my full cable TV package.

well you have netflix on it new to me in ireland so thats cool. any thing you watch on the net you can put it on your tv, movie rental bunch of sports things for US owners. You can connect it to you pc for veiwing your movie colliction but you need to covert them first, thats why i use air vedio no need to do that Cheap little app. well worth it needs air vedio server wich is free to download for pc/mac

if you own an ipad or iphone you can control it with that

and if you are Brave enough you can hack it like you do with the iphone

Back in December I picked up an Ipad2 WiFi/3G with 32g.
I haven't put it down since.

I wish I could trade this one in for a 4G but alas, what's done is done.

Ziz said:
spud said:

What is the Apple TV box capable of besides iTunes? I have a Western Digital WDTV Live Plus that has a bunch of services in it. The only reason I'm considering the Apple TV is because I've been working out the math and it's actually cheaper for me to buy TV shows per season thru iTunes than to keep paying for my full cable TV package.

Is that the little box that sits beside your TV and you can stream avi files wireless from your PC?

Why not just DL the torrents of the shows you want. Unless it is something completely obscure, it can usually be found on torrents a few hrs after it airs.

I know for me here in Canada, lots of shows on in the US that we either don't get, or it is on 3 months later here in Canada. Ice Road Truckers is a good one, usually only 1 or 2 episodes left to go in the US before it starts up here.

I've never been able to figure out how to use torrents or how it works.

Yes but it's easier to convert them on the fly with an app but if you don't have an iPad or iPhone you need to convert them for I tunes first, painful

Down loading torrents is dead easy, you first need a torrent client like utorrent then you need to find a decent torrent site, I use torrent day wich is very good, not sure if they accept new members but there is plenty of good ones,

But once you find one search for what you one download the file and run the file and utorrent will start downloading, some will come with a million zip fils just extract the first one with winrar.

Hope that helps a bit.

Oh and if I've said to much feel free to delete this post

spud said:
Yes but it's easier to convert them on the fly with an app but if you don't have an iPad or iPhone you need to convert them for I tunes first, painful

Down loading torrents is dead easy, you first need a torrent client like utorrent then you need to find a decent torrent site, I use torrent day wich is very good, not sure if they accept new members but there is plenty of good ones,

But once you find one search for what you one download the file and run the file and utorrent will start downloading, some will come with a million zip fils just extract the first one with winrar.

Hope that helps a bit.

Oh and if I've said to much feel free to delete this post

Torrent Day is awesome, my main go to place. At the moment (and for awhile now) they haven't been accepting new members unless you have an invite to send to someone, which you only get if you are uploading something, IE, you started the torrent.

Other good ones, Pirate Day and Demonoid

pirate bay ;D i used demonoid a lot before and its really good, but torrent day is the main one now.

well crap i just seen btjunkie closed, arse! i used that for my star wars cartoon thingy.. hmm

if you love topgear there is finalgear has every episode on it ;D

Yeah I agree, Torrent Day is the best. I used to use Pirate Bay and Demonoid all the time, now they are basically just a back up. Although I do use Demonoid for music dl's and books for my wife (and the occasional one for me, Vince Flynn is an awesome writer!)

Elm City Hobbies said:
Ziz said:
spud said:

Is that the little box that sits beside your TV and you can stream avi files wireless from your PC?

Why not just DL the torrents of the shows you want. Unless it is something completely obscure, it can usually be found on torrents a few hrs after it airs.

I know for me here in Canada, lots of shows on in the US that we either don't get, or it is on 3 months later here in Canada. Ice Road Truckers is a good one, usually only 1 or 2 episodes left to go in the US before it starts up here.

I've been making a list and about half of the few shows I do watch on a regular basis are available for free online thru either the show's or the network's web sites. The rest are on iTunes. The thing with torrents is they're not always available, or at least not as long as iTunes or the formal sites, so it means constantly searching, downloading and saving. The few $ I'd have to spend thru iTunes is worth it for the convenience of getting it when I'm ready to if I don't feel like tracking a particular show week after week.

there is a torrent site dedicated to just tv shows but for the life of me i cant think of it

Back