Another KV-1, extra crusty

pingvuiini

In order to satiate my odious overweathering addiction, I did a quick build of the Tamiya KV-1B. I started on Friday morning and am nearing the finish line.

First it was green:
KV-1BCleanFrt01.jpg

KV-1BCleanTopFrt02.jpg

Then it was clean:
KV-1BWhiteFrt05.jpg

KV-1BWhiteTopFrt02.jpg

Now its obscene:
KV-1Bv1TopRear01.jpg

KV-1Bv1Frt02.jpg

KV-1Bv1TopRear04.jpg

KV-1Bv1TopBck01.jpg

Still have some final touching up to do, and the rubber band tracks have to go. Will buy some Bronco or Friulmodel tracks to replace them.

Geez, that's one crusty rusty KV. A ouple of questions ? What paints did you use and how did
you do the extreme rust effects ? Cool 8)

bdr65 said:
Geez, that's one crusty rusty KV. A ouple of questions ? What paints did you use and how did
you do the extreme rust effects ? Cool 8)

Hi bdr65.

I am trying to use up a bunch of old bottles of paint which are (amazingly) still good after more than a decade in storage while I took a break from the hobby. I used Tamiya acrylic for the green basecoat. Then I brush painted the winter whitewash with Testors Enamels.

For the weathering I used oil paints and mineral spirits for all the washes, dry brushing, spot washes, caking, spattering....everything. Using oils only allows me to get the extreme crust effect but at the same time maintain the detail of the model. I just bought an AK Interactive weathering kit and will experiment with plaster mud effects.

BTW, thanks for the compliments on this and the Meng pickup. Usually I am criticized and ostracized for excessive weathering, and I'll be the first to admit it is not true to life. But I just can't help meself.

Here are more photos of the KV-1:
KV-1Bv1Side01.jpg

KV-1Bv1TopFrt04.jpg

KV-1Bv1Detail02.jpg

Here are some other crusty samples:

Dragon Panther F
PantherFTopFrt02.jpg

PantherFFrt04.jpg

Tamiya 8 Ton Halftrack
8TonFinalv2TopFrt02.jpg

Tamiya Möbelwagen
MobelwagenFnlv1Frt02.jpg

MobelwagenFnlv1Detail03.jpg

Dragon Jagdtiger
JagdtigerTopFrt01.jpg

Tamiya Knonenwagen
Kanonenwagen3TopFrt02.jpg

Kanonenwagen3Detail01.jpg

Kanonenwagen3Detail03.jpg

Kanonenwagen3Detail04.jpg

Italeri or Academy Piranha
PiranhaFrt02.jpg

PiranhaSide01.jpg

PiranhaSide02.jpg

PiranhaRear02.jpg

hi pingvuiini

they all look great, i would be very happy to pull any of those out of the local woods ;), the mobelwagen looks very convincing ,nice.

Definitely takes weathering to a whole new level! That KV looks awesome man, really cool. As for the tracks you can't go wrong with Friullies, especially on Russian AFV's as they and the Germans kept less tension on thier tracks. But even as-is that beast looks good!

Latest posts

Back