AMT X-wing preview/review

Quaralane

First, THANKS, GRENDELS!
I say that because I got this as part of the drawing he did for his 1000th subscriber contest.
It's one of the late reissues of the old AMT/Ertl/MPC 1/43 (or so) X-wing fighter.

I wanted it so I could take a stab at it with today's modelling skills.

Also, thanks to John's assistant, Bibi, who drew my name for the kit

AMT-Ertl X-wing--Badgrendels 1000 subscriber prize

That's a nice look at an old classic there Q! I see a lot of Aves in your future :)

Silly me...I always thought that big step in the fuselage was intentional ::)

I mean it's just soooo HUGE!!

Thanks for the peek Q, brought back some nice memories.

Oh' how I remember this well. Q your lucky that reissue of that kit comes with a pilot. I had to purchase Hasagawa's 1/48 scale U.S. Navy Pilot set to get a seated guy for mine. Are going to post WIP pics for this?

Glorfindel said:
Q your lucky that reissue of that kit comes with a pilot.

Actually Glorf, if you had that pilot in your hand...You still may have bought a Hase!! For real man...It's baaaaad!

Actually, the step "is" intentional. The problem comes with the gaps that will form around that step.
And the pilot can be worked with, with patience and a total disregard for what Luke actually wore in the cockpit.

When I start the build, yes, there will be plenty of WIP pics.

And yes, there is a LOT of Aves in my future

Quaralane said:
Actually, the step "is" intentional. The problem comes with the gaps that will form around that step.

Ahhhhhhhh...OK, I get the tricky issue now ;)

Quaralane said:
And the pilot can be worked with, with patience and a total disregard for what Luke actually wore in the cockpit.

"a total disregard".....That's funny stuff right there Q!!! ;D

I look forward to seeing how you approach this one! Any thought of lighting it Q?

I may not light it. Depends a lot on if I decide to put it in flight, or grounded on the landing gear

I'm glad your doing this. Not that I'm saying "better you then me", but I built this a few years back and the inaccuracies can drive one mad. If I remember correctly you called it, and I quote "a well polished turd" when it was finished, for which it was. Today many guys just opt for the FM 72/48 instead. It'll be fun watching you go through memory lane with this one. There are so many of these kits still out there it will be a blast to watch one on a thread.

I'll try not to disappoint you guys when I tackle her.
But, unlike some modelers out there, I don't need it to be 100% studio correct to be a good model.
We'll likely treat this one as a 'variant' of some kind.

Although, I may borrow heavily on Scott's old Red Six vids for some of my planning

Latest posts

Back