AMT/Ertl "Lost in Space" Movie Robot

Dusky said:
You don't really want to trim the decals. The clear part of the decal "silvered" which is why it doesn't appear clear. This happens often with older decals. You can find lots of threads about decal silvering and how to prevent and/or fix it using Google. I think it's because the decal isn't laying completely flat, but I'm not positive on that.

Silvering is caused by the decal not adhering to a totally smooth surface. While a flat-sheened or metallic surface may appear smooth, at a microscopic level it's actually very rough. The decal isn't soft enough, even with setting solution, to conform to all the microscopic pits in the surface. Light passing through the clear part of the decal film bounces off the model surface and reflects back up through the film - silvering.

You need to give the model, or at least the spots the decals will go, a coat of clear gloss. Gloss has little to none of the surface defects that flat and metallic have so when you lay down the decal, the clear film around the edge should disappear. Then just hit the decal with clear flat coat.

Ziz said:
Silvering is caused by the decal not adhering to a totally smooth surface...

Thanks for this info Ziz, appreciate it. I'll have to try that method.

And thanks for the kind words Quaralane and JMac!

Hey Ian,

I started working on this model and want to say thank's for the link. I am going to change it up don't mean to copy your paint scheme on this but after seeing this thread I had to have this kit.. I think I am going to paint the top part or the main section's of the body jet exhaust, other parts gun metal and some aluminum. This kit is for my son I may even do a little diorama of like a computer control room nothing from the movie.

If I put pic's up I will start my own thread.

Thank's again for the inspiration I got lot's of putty and sandpaper ready.

Mike

That's great to hear! Definitely a bit of work but it's a good size and offers so many options. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Latest posts

Back