Alternative fuel for my Zippo lighter

CY343491

Hi,
I'm making my Zippo lighter's cotton full of original Zippo fluid, all my fuel vanishes after 1 or 2 weeks and lighter doesn't work, i've heard that some people use turpentine as fuel as it is less volatile, do you think it will work out? Or any other ideas?

" all my fuel vanishes after 1 or 2 weeks and lighter doesn't work, "
Uhh , it vanishes into a flame ?
No, it vanishes even if i don't even touch it. Cap is closed all the time, no leaks at the bottom, it is not an old or worn lighter, i've bouht it from Zippo store with a high price.

By the way i've heard that some guys use lacquer thinner as fuel, sounds fun to me :D

LOL , I have a couple of the plasma ones .
They both have watertight cases and LED lights .
Suck it , Zippo !

But mostly use the BiC disposables

" Strange & Funny reason for quitting Zippo "
Pour a lighter's worth of fuel into your pocket and let it run down your leg .
You'll also never want the possibility of this occurring ever again .
You'll quit Zippo too

I also use USB rechargeable plasma lighters, they are great for windy conditions, but they create battery problems at a short time.
I don't like BiC, doesn't have flame adjustment knob and refill port, i like to refill my lighter's.

!!!!!!!!!!! IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerosene has ruined my Zippo's cotton and wick, i had to change them with replacements.

brand name lighter fluid is the right thing to use.
Ronsonol is the best.

fake Zippo probably.
it obviously leaks and the fuel is evaporating.

could also be bad packing.
get some new stuff, good stuff, and pack it right.
if its not packed enough, there is too much space for vapour. if its overpacked, it won't feed fuel properly.
also replace the wick.
but as I said, its probably a cheapo or fake zippo.
look for an old wartime lighter. worth the money.

oh, I didn't understand. this is a scale model of a zippo?
or why else would you ask here?
there are zippo forums, you know? lol

This thread reminds me of a kid I knew in high school. One Monday morning he comes in, and his eyebrows are gone, his hair singed. We asked what happened, and he said, "Well, I found a coffee can in the tool shed, and it looked like it had gasoline in it. So I lit a match to find out."

...But mostly use the BiC disposables...
I don't know if you've ever built any Maschinen Krieger subjects, Momo, but one particular model, the Camel, includes a Bic lighter as some kind of pod attached to its body. Ever since I saw that, I've been picking up spent Bics to use for scratchbuilding.

" I don't know if you've ever built any Maschinen Krieger subjects, Momo "
Dude .
get off the solvents .
Seriously .

LOL ;)
You've commented on MaK builds here and on Bryan's site .
There's a Camel here --- well , maybe not if it was still hosted by photobucket -- my very first thread is a Grosser Hund
and the Camel that got turned into Der Reiher
The SHELL OIL Friedrich
There's BiC lighter usage , even a pile of them , in the Falke XL build :D
Der Hoffnar

Remember this guy's name ?

Yb1bGhD.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back