Alien Exoskeleton ID4 (Independence Day)

YOULI

That which does not kill us makes us stronger !
Here is the Alien Exoskeleton from Independence Day.

The kit is from 1996 like the movie. Yeah... Already 17 years. It's from Lindberg, you can't expect much from them.I found it, two times for almost nothing, it's a no sell in France per say. Even the toy was better looking.

The box

The model kit

The notice.
Please, note the too big tentacles and the two parts for this poor detailed appendice.

This model kit is badly done, all in it is... well... bad.
The joints, the parts, the pose, the stand... And this alien is really something with its tentacles which are, here, some poorly done plastic mess with no other purpose but help the damn thing to stand. Redo all the damn thing would be tempting but I want to do something "simple".
THis kit is more like some antique model kit, even more badly done than the Dune Worm (Grendels talked about it lately).

And why do I bother to build this kind of kit ? I think that I'm ok to face some challenge like that and try my best to do something better, upgraded, maybe change the pose. Mostly I wanted to do and test some "organic" paint with this ID4 alien, try some paints, use some gloss, semi-gloss and so on... Just give it a try before building something seriously more interesting : the Aliens fom the "alien saga".

The build is pretty straight forward. i've got two of this horrible kit, one founded for almost nothing at a flee market. I used first some old tamiya putty, diluted with acetone. The parts are consolidated with Tamiya Thin cement and some clamp. I thought the line on the head had to disappear, so, later, I had to sculpt the line on it.

That will need a hell of a work. I had to watch the movie, to see what I can do with the pose, the details... For example you have some thin skin parts here and there, like some exterior muscles. Nothing bad to do.

The stand.
I just painted in white the tentacles then dry brush some flesh tone on it, the dirt was traited with some textures spray can (grey).

The buste was far more advance in work than I remember it. There's also some pretty dark shade on the top of the skull.

The tentacles are a mess, and the gaps between the parts, ALL OF THEM, are huge. This lindberg kit is a nightmare even for a veteran modeler. Here I added some Mastic Plastic from Prince August.

The tentacles show some gaps and flaws far too visible in my taste. Even hided by the other tentacles, I decided to reworked them with White Tamiya putty.

The other parts are sanded, most of them had already be done 1 or 2 years ago, with some epoxy paste, don't what I've used or done...

Here is the result so far with only the tentacles to stand with the buste. The arms and legs are being sanded and resculpted while watching Youtube Channel (hello John ! :) )

Build is done...

First layers of paint are done after a LOT of puttying sessions and mastic.

The other layers of paints are done but I let my APN at home and I'm in a journey to the capital of France, paris.

More soon, the end of this week I think.

993596_10201441034731703_1126403063_n.jpg

there will be plenty soon :)

I simply posted this one since a friend took it at JAPAN EXPO last saturday.

Turned out pretty good YOULI , I've also built this model , so I know how traumatic it is to get the beast to fit together ! :eek:

Still have a LOT of pictures to post but Photobucket is a real pain in the ....

Very nice work on what would otherwise be considered a very forgettable crap kit! :D

I had this not-so-hot kit years ago, planed to have it facing off against the decent amt vinyl Captain Kirk figure kit but found better projects to do. Maybe that idea could have worked, who knows.....

Thanks.

Personnaly plan to do another one with MAJOR modifications... ;D

Latest posts

Back