AK Interactive Problem

albert1223

Hello everyone
I have a bit of a problem using AK Interactive Green vehicle set. Ive been working on a M60 tank with reactive armor I got the paint job done about 3 days ago and I used model masters paints. As soon as I used AK 045 dark brown it started to attack my paint job which it dissolved the paint & primer all the way down to bare plastic. Can someone tell me what im doing wrong :-\?
Thank you. Big Al

Was the model master paint you were using enamel or acrylic?

If it was enamel, then AK products are also enamel and without a protective coat between them, the AK stuff would eat down through the paint, especially considering how fresh it was, since enamel paint usually takes alot longer to fully cure.

Hey Al, Scott and John are correct. Even if the MM was cure a couple days, without a clear coat the AK was going to act just like a thinner and break down the enamel. Any clear coat would work better than none. Vallejo as John suggested, Future or Tamiya would be just as good. Just a barrier between the two. ;)

Thanks Scott, John and T for all your help. Im new to AK products and there are no instructions for their weathering sets. Ive done some research but really no help. some say they use it with out a barrier I guess you live and learn. The good thing is, is that I did it on the back in fender of my M60 Tank its a Quick fix.
Thanks again guys.

albert1223 said:
Im new to AK products and there are no instructions for their weathering sets. Ive done some research but really no help. some say they use it with out a barrier I guess you live and learn.

I use it without a barrier over acrylics all the time, as that is how it's really designed to be used. Their paint sets are acrylic and their weathering sets are enamel just for this purpose. It's only when you use enamel paints that you need a barrier.

There are no instructions with the products, true but on their site there is a link to 'techniques'. You may have to search back through older posts to find exactly what you are looking for but there are lessons on most, if not all of their products, mostly done by Miguel himself.

http://ak-interactive.blogspot.ca/

PLedge Future floor polish is your friend

say it with a couple of drops of Windex and it the leveling is not how you like it at the end while still wet spay a coat of windex

works wonders and its dirt cheap

Having never used any of the AKI product line, I'm wondering how their weathering liquid is different, and/or better, than regular model specific enamel paint?

fumblethumbs said:
Having never used any of the AKI product line, I'm wondering how their weathering liquid is different, and/or better, than regular model specific enamel paint?

I believe it's a much finer pigment in the AK line than say Humbrol Enamel paint. It's also a lot softer than most enamels, and also dry a lot quicker. Plus it's nice to take a bottle off the shelf that's been tried and tested with just the right amount of thinners in it to do the job, give it a shake and your away. I prefer them much more than the dodgy cocktail of washes that I had made up myself :p
You should give them a try.

The first thing that comes to mind is that it isn't paint, so I'm not sure how one would even go about comparing them?

Yeah, I think that is the biggest mis-conception that people think about the AK products, that you can just take some paint and thin it out, or mix pigments with an enamel carrier and get the same product. There is just more to it than that.

Plus I don't know about the rest of you, but my modeling time to me is important, as I don't get as much as I would like, so I really don't want to spend half of what time I do have trying and stressing over trying mix my own. Much easier just to pull a bottle from the shelf, and you know it is going to be the same consistency, same color, same everything, every time.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Plus I don't know about the rest of you, but my modeling time to me is important, as I don't get as much as I would like, so I really don't want to spend half of what time I do have trying and stressing over trying mix my own. Much easier just to pull a bottle from the shelf, and you know it is going to be the same consistency, same color, same everything, every time.

THIS

Yup, convenience can be a plus. Thanks for taking the time to respond and forward your thoughts fellas. Appreciate it. ;)

Is Problem Fix? Hope you can save Tank paint job!

No AKi on Enamels ? Got it!

I Pledge my models befor wash, safer that way!

Sorry you had to suffer for us to learn from your mistake.

Karl.

Karlov1985 said:
Is Problem Fix? Hope you can save Tank paint job!

No AKi on Enamels ? Got it!

I Pledge my models befor wash, safer that way!

Sorry you had to suffer for us to learn from your mistake.

Karl.
Thanks everyone for taking the time out to help me out. Problem all fixed and thank you all for your input, tips and advice. Thanks Karl, the paint job was'nt a total loss I did it in a small area of the tank (rear fender) It was a quick fix. For now on Pledge future on all my models before washes. Its a trial and error for me just like any other thing you do. thanks again.

Latest posts

Back