Airfix kits. Are they good kits worth building?

Never built an Airfix kit. Are they decent kits?
Now building a 1/48 Stuka and I'm very impressed with the fit. Very little flash and good instructions. Nice decal set. Overall I would buy another Airfix kit again.
Pantherman

It might depend on whether it's an old Airfix kit or a new one. Airfix is a classic plastic kit maker, going back to the 50s. While many of us look back nostalgically on those old kits that we built when we were kids, they are admittedly not up to today's standards. So someone getting in to the hobby today might look at them and think that they're not detailed enough, or the details are soft, or toy-like, etc. I do like building old Airfix 1/72 aircraft, by the way.
But starting about 10, 12 years ago (check Scalemates!), Airfix started rereleasing subjects they had done in their earlier days, with new tooling that is more like other new kits today. Their new P-40B in 1/48, for example, is a very good kit, and represents the difference between their "classic" kits and their current catalog. So it's a good idea, when looking at any Airfix kit, to find out whether it's one they issued years ago, and perhaps ever since, or one that was just released.
Their figure kits, 1/32 figures in white styrene, are good kits, good starting points for kitbashing or modifying. They're very similar to and compatible with, Historex kits.

It might depend on whether it's an old Airfix kit or a new one. Airfix is a classic plastic kit maker, going back to the 50s. While many of us look back nostalgically on those old kits that we built when we were kids, they are admittedly not up to today's standards. So someone getting in to the hobby today might look at them and think that they're not detailed enough, or the details are soft, or toy-like, etc. I do like building old Airfix 1/72 aircraft, by the way.
But starting about 10, 12 years ago (check Scalemates!), Airfix started rereleasing subjects they had done in their earlier days, with new tooling that is more like other new kits today. Their new P-40B in 1/48, for example, is a very good kit, and represents the difference between their "classic" kits and their current catalog. So it's a good idea, when looking at any Airfix kit, to find out whether it's one they issued years ago, and perhaps ever since, or one that was just released.
Their figure kits, 1/32 figures in white styrene, are good kits, good starting points for kitbashing or modifying. They're very similar to and compatible with, Historex kits.
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting you mention the P-40B Warhawk.
This is the one I am looking at

Amazon product ASIN B018G91FGO

I did that kit. However, that’s kinda high for an Airfix kit. If I were you , stay away from Amazon because they charge too much for model kits. Instead, buy kits from reputable hobby online stores like Scalehobbyist (my go-to store 100% of my purchases), Sprue Brothers, Squadron, Hobbylinc, or eBay. You’ll find out quick that those stores are more competitive and cheaper than Amazon.

Ah! I didn't realize there was an image linked/embedded. I'm on my work machine, inside our firewall. We must block the image, apparently.

I went to Amazon and searched on the string to see it. $36 isn't too bad, I think that's close what the original retail was when the kit was released. I think I paid about ten dollars less, and from a bricks-and-mortar retailer. I agree with Pappy on this, I would look somewhere else for a lower price. Unless you have absolutely no alternative. Personally, I don't buy through Amazon unless there is just no choice.

Sprue Bros. has it right now for $33: https://spruebrothers.com/afx05130-1-48-airfix-curtiss-p-40b-warhawk/

Squadron has it for $35 (the URL shows Airfix' 1/72 Vickers Wellington, so I didn't bother copying it) So does Freetime Hobbies, but since Freetime is owned by Squadron now (same bad URL, too), that's not a surprise.

Those are my usual online retailers to check, but there are more. I'd shop around some more, can't hurt.

Last edited:
I have purchased 98% of my kits from Amazon. Being a Prime member I’m not paying for shipping so it works out cost wise compared to other retailers.
Some kits I can’t find on Amazon so I will go to other stores.

I have purchased 98% of my kits from Amazon. Being a Prime member I’m not paying for shipping so it works out cost wise compared to other retailers.
Same here. If you set it to flash deals you can get some good bargains.
Pantherman

Yeah, like Academy, Airfix has definitely upped their game in recent toolings compared to older ones

Picked up the 1/72 B-25 Midway release and it is very good quality. Only complaint I have is no crew figures, but that seems par these days for most aircraft releases

uI have purchased 98% of my kits from Amazon. Being a Prime member I’m not paying for shipping so it works out cost wise compared to other retailers.

I also find it is kind of a wash with Amazon and free shipping. If directly fulfilled by Amazon from their warehouse prices are often as low as you will get

But If the kits are delivered by third parties they often price them at retail plus a basic shipping cost even though Amazon lists as free-shipping in the page

they may have seemed more expensive than other websites, but after the other websites add shipping charges it comes out pretty much the same anyway

for example I got a bunch of Trumpeter kits from Amazon that were actually from 3rd party sellers. When I went to their websites (if they had one) directly, and calculated shipping it wound up pretty much the same as the Amazon listing

The difference for me is when those 3rd party sellers are in different countries or have questionable websites I feel safer using Amazon as the middle man if you will
Plus I have the benefit of using Amazon gift cards

In the Amazon listing you can see if it is shipped and sold by Amazon, or shipped by Amazon but sold by a third party

I also find it is kind of a wash with Amazon and free shipping. If directly fulfilled by Amazon from their warehouse prices are often as low as you will get

But If the kits are delivered by third parties they often price them at retail plus a basic shipping cost even though Amazon lists as free-shipping in the page

they may have seemed more expensive than other websites, but after the other websites add shipping charges it comes out pretty much the same anyway

for example I got a bunch of Trumpeter kits from Amazon that were actually from 3rd party sellers. When I went to their websites (if they had one) directly, and calculated shipping it wound up pretty much the same as the Amazon listing

The difference for me is when those 3rd party sellers are in different countries or have questionable websites I feel safer using Amazon as the middle man if you will
Plus I have the benefit of using Amazon gift cards

In the Amazon listing you can see if it is shipped and sold by Amazon, or shipped by Amazon but sold by a third party
Be careful with third party purchases through Amazon. I bought a camera lens from a third party via Amazon. Upon arrival it had no registration or warranty enclosed. I checked with Amazon and all they did was refer me back to the third party seller; Amazon wanted no involvement. The lens turned out to be a grey import. There was no mention of that on Amazon’s website, just listed as ‘new’. I eventually received an email from the third party saying that they’d warranty it for twelve months. The whole thing seems dubious and Amazon are no help whatsoever.

I find Amazon is worth it for the more expensive items such as kits, but way too expensive for things like paints - they’re going to get $4 shipping on each paint (factored into the price if you’ve got Prime), unlike a retailer such as ScaleHobbyist or Burbank which would charge that same shipping cost for half a dozen bottles.

Late to the party! I am building the Airfix P-40 right now. It is good. Had a fit problem on the engine hoods, but otherwise pretty good. I like newer Airfix kits. They hit a sweet spot for me by being well detailed, but not too complicated. I have tried a couple of Eduard kits. They are amazing but so complicated I stopped enjoying it. PLUS Airfix is the only company that consistently provides pilot figures and wheels up configurations which I like!

Late to the party! I am building the Airfix P-40 right now. It is good. Had a fit problem on the engine hoods, but otherwise pretty good. I like newer Airfix kits. They hit a sweet spot for me by being well detailed, but not too complicated. I have tried a couple of Eduard kits. They are amazing but so complicated I stopped enjoying it. PLUS Airfix is the only company that consistently provides pilot figures and wheels up configurations which I like!
What’s your opinion on the plastic itself? Is it soft like they say? Never built an Airfix kit myself.

What’s your opinion on the plastic itself? Is it soft like they say? Never built an Airfix kit myself.
The plastic on most of their 1/72 scale stuff is the soft crap people complain about it really is bad. I think the plastic on the new toolings in 1/48 scale is better? Probably not as good as Tamiya or Eduard. But not terrible.

The plastic on most of their 1/72 scale stuff is the soft crap people complain about it really is bad. I think the plastic on the new toolings in 1/48 scale is better? Probably not as good as Tamiya or Eduard. But not terrible.

Thanks. Any additional kits besides the P-40 you’d recommend from Airfix? I’ve been enamored by all the Cold War jets they offer but have been scared by the plastic issue…

Thanks. Any additional kits besides the P-40 you’d recommend from Airfix? I’ve been enamored by all the Cold War jets they offer but have been scared by the plastic issue…
This is my first 1:48 scale by them. I do have a 1/48 Spitfire in the stash but I have not looked at it yet

Latest posts

Back