Airfix 1/72 A-10 Thunderbolt II "Warthog"

svinehunden

Hey all...

I'm building the Airfix kit straight out the box because I'm still a complete noob when it comes to plastic modelling and airbrushing. I'm trying to make two builds for every paint scheme I have to do. When I've finished this Airfix A-10 i'm moving straight on to an Italeri 1/48 Longbow and I wanna use the A-10 to practice the paint job for the it...

All the build videos will ONLY be posted and commented here and on my blog at:
http://modelloursworkshop.blogspot.com/

They will NOT be available on youtube!!!

Here's the review of the kit:

Airfix 1/72 A-10 Thunderbolt II REVIEW by SVINEHUNDEN

svinehunden said:
heeeeeeeeeey... why doesn't the youtube embedding work?

There you go, fixed. Next time you don't use [youtube] tags anymore, just copy paste the youtube link in.

part1
Scale Model Tricks & Tips - Airfix 1/72 A-10 Thunderbolt II - Part 1 by SVINEHUNDEN

part2
Scale Model Tricks & Tips - Airfix 1/72 A-10 Thunderbolt II - Part 2 by SVINEHUNDEN

i was looking all over the net to find some kool paint scheme and i came across this winter camo...

440d3a5e0b3343abbb7ff35-1-1.jpg

i gonna try the winter scheme :)

And i got it painted last night... first some black pre-shades then some very light grey, mixed from Tamiya XF-2 flat white and XF-63 greman grey. after that i gave it a coat of pure flat white...

i used masking tape to make the winter camouflage paint scheme, but this was my first try ever to paint a model like that. so i got ALOT of overspray which i will have to paint over today...

but here's the result so far...

a-10winterpaintscheme004-1.jpg

a-10winterpaintscheme001-1.jpg

a-10winterpaintscheme002-1.jpg

and on a side note; I'm not sure why the American Army painted the aircraft like a Danish Holstein(SDM) but it makes me feel comfy and at home :)

Sortbroget_dansk_malkerace.jpg

I love the A-10 and I've enjoyed the videos. I'm also following your blog now, glad to see you doing one mate.

Check your vid comments and let me know if you're interested.

Happy modeling Kasper.

;D

ScaleModelMadman said:
I love the A-10 and I've enjoyed the videos. I'm also following your blog now, glad to see you doing one mate.

Check your vid comments and let me know if you're interested.

Happy modeling Kasper.

;D

the pre-shading didn't really work out for me though so i'm looking forward to see how you do it :)
but i think the Thunderbolt turned out ok. did a lot of mistakes though, like removing the masking tape from the canopy before i clear coated it ;)

svinehunden said:
now you really got me curious :)

what do you have for me???

In your video you said you didn't have anything for grass, so I'd like to send you a little 'care package' if you will, of some different stuff I use in making things like this:

smoke2.jpg

Nice job. What is the wingspan on the model. I am trying to make up my mind on 1/72 or 1/48 A-10 and for aircraft models in general. 1/72 doesn't take so much space but 1/48 has better details and is easier for eyes to build.

Dano1945 said:
Nice job. What is the wingspan on the model. I am trying to make up my mind on 1/72 or 1/48 A-10 and for aircraft models in general. 1/72 doesn't take so much space but 1/48 has better details and is easier for eyes to build.

it's about 25 cm

ScaleModelMadman said:
In your video you said you didn't have anything for grass, so I'd like to send you a little 'care package' if you will, of some different stuff I use in making things like this:

KOOL :D

in MW2 care-packages are a VERY helpful tool so i'm looking to the skies... lol

thanks

aaaaaand I got some more pictures...

does anybody know how to get rid of the last silver? i've tried using Humbrol decalfix but it didn't help...

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII042.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII039.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII032.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII031.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII029.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII028.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII024.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII020.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII017-1.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII016.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII015.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII013.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII012.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII009.jpg

AirfixA-10ThunderboltII008-1.jpg

You can try just painting over it or put more solvent on it (the stuff the melts the decals into the model)

DreamKnight said:
You can try just painting over it or put more solvent on it (the stuff the melts the decals into the model)

do you leave the decal fix on until it evaporates?

svinehunden said:
DreamKnight said:

do you leave the decal fix on until it evaporates?

Yeh. go check out my decal tutorial in the resource section. :)

Latest posts

Back