Airfix 1/24 typhoon rebuild for a friend

Might have a few issues respraying the monster. Didn't really think about that until I was trying to find somewhere to store it.
Pantherman
Is that a homemade paint booth? Nice!

I run into the same problem. I’m spraying my big Voyager in my garage sitting on a piece of heavy cardboard on top of my table saw next To the open garage door. Have to spray early in the day before the wind picks up in the afternoon.

Is that a homemade paint booth? Nice!

I run into the same problem. I’m spraying my big Voyager in my garage sitting on a piece of heavy cardboard on top of my table saw next To the open garage door. Have to spray early in the day before the wind picks up in the afternoon.
Yes, made the whole thing for about £10, mostly broken and damaged bit's. Pantherman

Got alot more done this weekend than I expected, wife was busy doing her own thing and let me play with my toys......

So got it all primed up, got the tail flaps working using some metal rods, then refixed them. Got the undercarriage bay's painted so just got to highlight the pipes and fittings next.

Got to figure out how to refit the wing flaps as alot of that was PE. Think I will clean it all down and see what fit's.
Pantherman
My friend seems to have broken most of the moving parts, maybe that's why there was so much paint trying to hold it all together.

Anyway I have started taking thing's apart and making new parts so hopefully it will now be a working aircraft. First for me so be kind.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230825_205256.jpg
    20230825_205256.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230825_205250.jpg
    20230825_205250.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 11
What is nice is that it is so easy to find the materials to scratch build and repair models nowadays. I was amazed just at what plastic and wire bits I could get at local stores not to mention online.

My friend seems to have broken most of the moving parts, maybe that's why there was so much paint trying to hold it all together.

Anyway I have started taking thing's apart and making new parts so hopefully it will now be a working aircraft. First for me so be kind.
Pantherman
Nice work so far. It will be awesome when your done. Hope your friend really appreciates all this work you’re doing.

Thanks, enjoy the challenge. Got a few other things on the go so have laid off the beast for a break. More to follow definitely. Pantherman
Came to a bit of a stop with the beast as asked airfix for some spare parts but unfortunately not available so I will have to make my own ailerons. More to come soon I hope. Pantherman

Yeah, I have been neglecting this but I have an excuse. No, the dog didn't steal it. My problem was trying to get some spare original parts from airfix for the flaps only to find out that the kit spares are no longer made !!

I have two choices, either try to make the parts or clean down the PE part's that were used (not very well) and try to remake them.

Hence the delay. Pantherman

Came to a bit of a stop with the beast as asked airfix for some spare parts but unfortunately not available so I will have to make my own ailerons. More to come soon I hope. Pantherman
Update for you. Having been reminded that this build had stalled I decided to do a bit more. Think I was putting off having to remove all the paint and varnish from the ailerons, small plastic part's, canopies, and PE.

Well I now have a little tip for everyone of what NOT to do.......don't forget that you have put all of the part's in brush cleaner for an hour, but actually leave them a week.

The PE came out sparkling but the rest is now a blended lump of plastic !!!!!!

Not really sure where I go from here as Airfix don't make the spares any more. I will have to have a bit of a think on this one but also happy for any ideas. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back