aircraft ribbing

7foot9

does anyone know how to put ridding into 1/48 aircraft plastic card strips because i have revells 1/48 b-17 and it has no deatil inside and what size plasric card do i need.

thanks ed. :eek:

Hiya Ed!! ;) Not sure how much help I can actually be but... (Think you meant to say ribbing ???)

Being 1/48, I would think that you would want to have the sheet stock as thin as you can get it....about .005". As for marking ( mind you I am not an aircraft guy here ::) ) a quick Google produced about 199 million hits for interior framing. The layout looks pretty easy. I would certainly mark out the framing grid in pencil first and then start the cutting extravaganza!!! ;)

Good luck!!

A good set of scale plans would be a good start too ,then you can take your sizes straight of the plan ;)

Chris.

I have built the revell B-17 and it has a good amount of pre-molded detail. You can use Evergreen styrene stripes which come in different shapes and size stripes. I love it to death!!!!! I am probably spending more of my money on that stuff than on a regular plastic model kit :p

Matt :)

I'll second Matt--use Evergreen or Plastruct strips. Here's a shot of ribs and stringers that I added to a Monogram TBF kit a couple years back:

TBFinterior4.jpg

and with some interior color, and some creative gizmology to add various boxes:

TBFinterior6b.jpg

I'll second Chris about checking for any plans that you can find, too, or beyond that, photos of the interior. They can help you decide how to lay out the ribs and stringers.

Finally, here is the URL to an online build that shows what can be done, as far as adding interior detail goes:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Flugzeuge/Gaeste/Wolf_Catalina_de.html

There is an interesting method for getting the shape of the ribs/bulkheads, too, in that SBS.

Hope that helps!
Brad

Latest posts

Back